PDA

View Full Version : Help! Problem with my Mag Drive.

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 10:45 AM
I turned it off this morning to feed the fish and when I turned it back on it sounded like it was grinding and barely running but it was loud. I opened it up and cleaned the impeller area (no blockage just a little muck in there). When I turned it on to test run it in a bucket of water it is sputtering and loud and sounds like it's going to conk out like an old car engine.

What wrong? Can I fix it? I don't want my protein skimmer to be off for long. Please Help.

Kevomac
05/09/2007, 10:47 AM
Check the impellar. When they fail, the parts of it can be turned separately.

Travis L. Stevens
05/09/2007, 10:59 AM
Check the impeller for cracks as well.

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 11:41 AM
Impeller is out. What am I looking for? It looks fine to me.

RamPuppy
05/09/2007, 11:44 AM
can you twist the magnet and impeller independently of each other?

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9908040#post9908040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kevomac
Check the impellar. When they fail, the parts of it can be turned separately.

what do you mean? is it all supposed to be one solid piece that turns? Right now it is...

rubber stopper
washer
impeller connected to plastic body
magnet
washer
rubber stopper.

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9908364#post9908364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RamPuppy
can you twist the magnet and impeller independently of each other?

yes.
the impeller (blades) is connected to a plastic thing that's about an inch long. That is separate from the magnet. It doesn't look like it was ever connected. It was working fine until this morning.

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 12:17 PM
I've only had this since February of this year. I bought it new w/ the PS. Here's a pic to help.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/578/144240impeller-med.JPG

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 01:48 PM
^

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 07:37 PM
^

phoenix
05/09/2007, 07:52 PM
Sometimes the impellers may wear at the top or get trash in the chamber - I would look down in the chamber for any debris - you can use a q tip to clean out that area and then reassemble. Sometimes the impeller looks ok but may be cracked so that you do not notice. I would replace the impeller anyway if the pump is still making a noise after checking the impeller chamber for trash.

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 08:16 PM
It's not normal for it to wear in 3 months is it? If so, that's poor workmanship in my book. Maybe I should be looking into a different product. I used the bottle brush looking thing to clean the chamber and I ran water through it for a while. It's clean and clear.
If you look at the pic, just above the impeller on the rubber stopper thing, it looks to be pinched/dented. Someone mentioned about the pieces being separate, are they all supposed to be connected?

phoenix
05/09/2007, 08:54 PM
That is probably the problem and it can occur due to debris getting caught in the pump - The pumps usually do well. I have had several in my tanks for several years.

Pez Vela
05/09/2007, 09:41 PM
My Mag12 just stopped for no reason after only four months. I took it apart and noticed right away that the ceramic shaft was broken. Obviously the reason the pump was no longer working. I read that when they are used externally (as mine is) they tend to wear faster, but four months? Pretty poor quality, but maybe just a lemon. Some people run theirs for years without incident. Any suggestions on replacement pumps for external use in the 1200-1800 gph range?

FLReefGirl
05/09/2007, 11:22 PM
Curious, what do you mean by "external use"?
Mine is HOB of my 55 gal display tank. I don't have a sump/fuge.

I e-mailed Danner about the issue, we'll see what they say. If they replace the impeller (if that's the problem) hopefully it will last longer this time. If The same problem occurs I need a suggestion for a new pump for my Remora Pro.

Now here is the bigger question...
What should I do until I can get another impeller? My local LFS do not carry them so I'll either have to wait for Danner to send one or order online. In the mean time what do I do about water quality? Should I do a small WC daily until the impeller arrives?

Pez Vela
05/10/2007, 09:16 AM
External = Out of the sump or in a "dry" environment.
Internal = Submersed in the sump or "underwater".

Do you have a canister filter? Run one of those until you can replace your main pump.

FLReefGirl
05/10/2007, 09:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9914847#post9914847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pez Vela
External = Out of the sump or in a "dry" environment.
Internal = Submersed in the sump or "underwater".

Do you have a canister filter? Run one of those until you can replace your main pump.

Oh! Duh! :D I didn't realize you could run them out of water.
I don't have a cannister filter. I run my PS, an Emperor 400 (no bio wheels) w/ 2 carbon filters and phosban, and an Aqua clear modded into a fuge. I guess for now, unless someone has a better idea, I'll do small WC.

*UPDATE: Danner e-mailed me this morning. They told me to remove the impeller, hold it in my hand next to the pump and plug it in. They said if the impeller vibrates outside the unit it needs to be replaced. And of course it did. It was actually pretty cool. She said e-mail/fax a copy of my receipt and they'll take care of it. COOL!

FLReefGirl
05/16/2007, 07:09 PM
*UPDATE
My new impeller arrived from Danner today. Worked like a charm. Even better than before. Exactly one week from the date I e-mailed them notification of the problem to impeller at my door step. That's what I call GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I see what the problem was now. The blades should only move about 1/2" either way and the unit is basically a whole. My blades disconnected from the magnet housing and spun 360 degrees.