PDA

View Full Version : first time water change help pleases

khoivo1
05/09/2007, 12:53 PM
hi everyone here in RC i am about to change my water for the first time and just wonder if i can just take all the water out from the sump instead from the tank,,
i have a 90 gal tank with about 15-20gal sump,,will this work? alot easier for if it work that way so please let me know what do you think/?? thanks

brandonst878
05/09/2007, 01:20 PM
Yes you can take it out of the sump. However, it is often easier to start a siphon from the main tank. A siphon is a lot faster and neater than trying to scoop the water out which you will have to do from the sump unless you are using a pump/powerhead. Be sure the water in the sump does not fall below the intake of your skimmer or return pump with them running. Hope this helps.

shanersnyder
05/09/2007, 01:27 PM
Also, if you have a glass submersed heater, dont let it get exposed to the air while on. It will crack and be ruined. If seen a recommendation to unplug it and let it sit for 20-30 mins before taking it out of the water.

I used to take it out of the sump but found it easier to siphon it out of the display tank. Here is my ritual FYI.

Turn off the power to the tank, and blow off all debris from LR and PHs. Siphon out about 5 gal of water a week. I only have a 55 gal.

Then turn on the power and let the sump water fill up the display tank. Once it is about to get too low for the pump, I turn it off and fill the sump with new water. I do this until the tank is back up to the right level.

That way you dont disturb the main tank by dumping water in over the edge.

Hope this helps.

seapug
05/09/2007, 02:15 PM
I just take a small powerhead, attach some vinyl tubing to the output and pump the water directly into a bucket from the sump then replace what I take out. Very simple and gives you the opportunity to vaccum the crap out of the sump as well without worrying about knocking things around in the display with the siphon. Also keeps you from exposing corals high up in the rocks to the air. I can change 10 gallons in about 10 minutes with this method.