PDA

View Full Version : what do you keep in your compartments?

xxxbadfishxxx
05/09/2007, 05:38 PM
i got a 12 Gallon Aquapod. In the first compartment i have the sponge, second carbon, third rock rubble 4th thermometer and return pump. My corals are starting to look like crap, xenia is looking frail. I think its from that sponge, i dont clean it all that often. i change carbon once a month and change 3 gallons of water with reef crystals every 1-2 weeks tops. Salinity is at 1.025, Temp at 81. I beleive the sponge is causing the problems, my 50 gallon looks amazing. i cant find my basic test kit, but calcium is a little low at 380 and Alkalinity is at 9dkh. I think i have a nitrate problem from the sponge, would you agree?

SHLove16
05/09/2007, 06:39 PM
I do not know the direct answer to your question, but I am setting up my 12G Nano-cube and I was advised to remove all sponges, bio balls, and plastic crap from the back and replace it with just live rock rubble and macro algae or cheatos(spelling?). Like I said, this probably won't help but that is what I was told to do and that is what I will do.

xxxbadfishxxx
05/09/2007, 07:40 PM
yeah, im guessing the sponge is traping Nitrates and causing problems, i will remove is ASAP.

Illuminati
05/09/2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, get the sponge out of there. You can use Filter Floss in it's place, just add a handful and throw it out weekly and replace it with a fresh handful.

Also look into both Chemi-pure and Purigen for the back chambers. They are 2 media's that I suggest using in nano's to keep nitrates in check since there are few skimmers that work in these. Carbon is worthless in nano's, takes out to many good things with the bad. Chemi-pure lasts 7 times longer than carbon and Purigen really helps keep the water looking crystal clear.

Good Luck.

SHLove16
05/09/2007, 09:17 PM
So which chamber would you suggest putting Chemi-pure and Purigen in? Should it go like this?

1st chamber-live rock rubble, macro algae/cheato
2nd chamber-little live rock rubble, purigen bag and chemi pure bag
3rd chamber-pump, heater, thermometer...(etc..)

Just trying to grasp the whole picture....

Thanks.

Illuminati
05/09/2007, 09:37 PM
I keep my chaeto in the display wedged between some rocks. It needs light and decent flow to do it's job, unless you mess with some stuff it's hard to get light back there in the chambers.
Chaeto is about the only macro I would use, things like shaving brush plants are calcium suckers and caulerpa can spread like crazy and choke out corals.

I personally have my chambers like:

Chamber 1 - Chemipure on the bottom, filter floss above that

Chamber 2 - Purigen on the bottom, heater

Chamber 3 - Return pump

I used to use phosban and would put some in a mesh pouch in chamber 2 but that was just to get rid of cyano.

It's fine to put live rock rubble in the back chambers but I personally don't. I am not convinced that rubble in the back helps that much. I have over 40# of rock in my 24 gallon nanocube so if that doesn't provide me with the needed filtration that little bit of rubble isn't going to do any good :)

One thing with this hobby and these All In One cubes is that you can ask 100 people how they set theirs up and you will get 100 unique answers. Take in all of the advice you can and try what you think is right.

doryarlin955
05/10/2007, 04:04 AM
If your tank is 81* that explains the xenia since I think it can't really handle temps over 80*

shred5
05/10/2007, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9911730#post9911730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xxxbadfishxxx
yeah, im guessing the sponge is traping Nitrates and causing problems, i will remove is ASAP.

A sponge does not trap or produce nitrates. It is when you leave detritus and food in them that detritus breakes down leaving behind nitrates and phosphates etc.

A sponge is fine and great for removing detritus or anything if the sponge is rinsed every other day or even better if done daily. Problem is most people neglect them especially because of where they are located alot of times and that is where the problem arises. Same with any type of mechanical filter.

Another problem is when a sponge is used as a biological filter which they are used for in alot of filters. In this case rinsing them defeats the purpose and i guess I do not have to explain agian what happens if they are not rinsed. do not use a sponge as a biological filter because it will become a nitrate factor and I beleive this is what you meant in your post.

Dave

MplsMan
05/10/2007, 10:00 AM
heres what i run in my12gal.
1, 1st chamber filter floss
2, rubble rock seperated with plastic gutter screen
3, nano skimmer
4 pump and heater

IMO you dont need the bio balls if any, and charcoal.

shred5
05/10/2007, 10:04 AM
double post

abandund
05/10/2007, 06:14 PM
i have a jbj 12gal...i have nothing but rubble rock in every chamber except the return...it works great.

Doglover_50
05/11/2007, 01:58 PM
filter floss and purigen in chamber 1. I always do 60 second check of my floss before it goes in the trash can, because inevitably I have HUGE pods that are living in it that i like to put back in tank.

Rubble chamber 2

heater and powerhead chamber 3.

chaeto in the tank

Lakeside518
05/11/2007, 05:07 PM
1st chamber: Sponge

2nd chamber: Chemi-pure

3rd chamber: heater & Aquaclear 20 carbon bag

4th chamber: return pump- MJ 900 w/ hydor rotating outlet

I do syphon off 5 gals and add 5 gals every 3-4 weeks. Little to no Evap from tank due to being enclosed. Running 64W's PC 2x32

Lakeside518
05/11/2007, 05:07 PM
1st chamber: Sponge

2nd chamber: Chemi-pure

3rd chamber: heater & Aquaclear 20 carbon bag

4th chamber: return pump- MJ 900 w/ hydor rotating outlet

I do syphon off 5 gals and add 5 gals every 3-4 weeks. Little to no Evap from tank due to being enclosed. Running 64W's PC 2x32

Very healthy tank

blue02celi
05/12/2007, 09:06 PM
I have a NC, have sponge in first and RR in second, just the pump in 3rd... was thinking of taking sponge out and seeing if anything changed, but then again im still cycling so should I just leave it in for now, and if so should I wash it daily or would that make things take longer?

Eklikewhoa
05/13/2007, 09:17 AM
NC12g

Chamber 1.......top-bottom....purigen/chem-pure/rubble
Chamber 2......." " " "......Cheato/50wheater/rubble
Chamber 3.......MJ900/hydor-flo/rio90/ICA/temp probe..soon ATO float.