PDA

View Full Version : 10wpg to much?

fishymann
05/10/2007, 05:32 PM
I'm gonna be setting up a 2 gallon (9x9x6) tank soon and want to have some ricordias (actually probably ricordias as my only coral but maybe not), im going to use the coralife 10 watt bulbs so either 5wpg (one bulb) or 10 wpg (2 bulbs) would that be okay or to much light?

circusordie16
05/10/2007, 05:34 PM
that wouldnt be too much and you might even consider going higher. i have 18w over my 2.5 and im thinking about going to 36. ive also seen a 2.5 with a 150w halide over it so youll be fine.

sir_dudeguy
05/10/2007, 05:46 PM
Are you talking about the coralife mini pc screw in one? If so, i would not recommend it at all. I've used both the 10 and 20w ones and didnt like either one. The color on them is just weird... Although the bulb says that its half 10K and half 03 actinic (like a normal 50/50 bulb) it turns out more pink than it should for a regular 50/50 imo.

I'd just get one of the coralife aqualight minis. 2x9w pc's. I had that over my 3g pico and it was great. I also had the stock 9w bulb on there too so total it was 3x9w but on a 2g it should be fine w/2. I grew tons of shrooms, a few different zoos, kenya tree, a hammer, some digitata corals, elkhorn, monti cap, gsp, and i know i'm missing something. As you can tell, thats a lot of corals for just a 3g tank which is why i dont have it set up anymore...everything outgrew it too fast so i moved it all up to a 10g tank :)

fishymann
05/10/2007, 06:02 PM
iv heard a few things about it being pink but then asked some one that used two of them over his 5 gallon and said he doesn't see any pink (there is a freshwater bulb though that coralife makes that is indeed pink). I'll see if my lfs has the coralife 2x9w pc in stock and if so how much it will be.

Circus what do you use?

Bloke
05/11/2007, 12:20 AM
I use 96w over a 10g with no problems.

sir_dudeguy
05/11/2007, 08:55 AM
(there is a freshwater bulb though that coralife makes that is indeed pink)

no, its not that one. I know which one you're talkin about. I've used that freshwater one too (which is just horrible if you ask me lol) and i've used the 10 and 20w 50/50 over my 2.5g that i had a long time ago. Both were a lot pinker than i would've liked.

The coralife aqualight mini is only 25-30 bucks. I'll look for a link... Its cheaper online than in stores usually.
Here is a link to it.
http://hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=419
It is also 9 inches so it would fit your tank perfectly.

Comes with 2 bulbs, 1 is a 10K daylight and the other is 03 actinic. And when you buy it you can buy extra bulbs (so that you get 4 total) at half price, but they dont seem to have the 10K replacement bulb...only 65K which is a bit yellow. I'd just buy 2 extra actinics and buy the daylight bulb elsewhere. I'm thinking i've seen it on marine depot or something...i know i have. My lfs carries it too and its only 9 bucks there...i think they're like 6 regular online :)

Rosseau
05/11/2007, 10:51 AM
Be weary of the "WPG" measure. It's borderline useless IMO.

(not that my comment advances this discussion any...)

fishymann
05/11/2007, 12:39 PM
yea i've heard the wpg is useless because of tank footprint.