PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks

kirkland
05/10/2007, 11:21 PM
Hello all! We just set up a 92g corner tank early last week. 130# of liverock was put in on Monday and on Tuesday, 6 compact fluorescents were hung from the ceiling. The tank has a 23g sump underneath. Water from the overflow goes through a white filter sock before it hits the skimmer and continues on through and then back up to the tank. I only have experience with sponge type media filters. How often should I expect to be changing the sock out? I have 2, do I need more? Also, I thought about cleaning them in the washer but didn't think leftover chemicals/residue from detergent, fabric softener, oxyclean, etc. would be good for the socks. I did a forum search and noticed that several people do use the washer for cleaning the socks. Should I run the washer on empty with hot water before throwing them in? Do you use the gentle cycle? Double rinse? Thanks for anyone who reads this and it certainly is great to get feedback from other reefers!

Konadog
05/10/2007, 11:24 PM
kirkland,
[welcome]

Having more than one is a great way to be sure that you actually keep up with the maintenance of cleaning them. If you don't like the idea of running them thru the wash, put them in a 5gal bucket with a little bleach, rince and let air dry for a day or two. Rinse again and swap it out with the next one.

EdKruzel
05/11/2007, 12:55 AM
Once thoroughly dry, any bleach residue is rendered neutral. I'd have several socks in case you have an emergency or just get a little lazy once in a while. :D

PatMayo
05/11/2007, 10:38 PM
I have a filter sock on my tank and change it weekly.

Regards,

Pat

aquarius77
05/12/2007, 05:31 AM
Kona, how is your tank doing with the reef ceramics? I have seen some pretty nasty reports about the stuff?