PDA

View Full Version : Aquapod Nano vs. JBJ Nano vs. Oceanic Bio Cube...

JC_UF_ITK
05/11/2007, 06:14 AM
Which one is the best? The Oceanic seems to be the most expensive, but it is worth the extra $$$? Thanks!

JC_UF_ITK
05/11/2007, 08:32 AM
Ignorant question, but is the Aquapod Nano and JBJ Nano the same tank? The Aquapod seems cheap.

ArgonDreams
05/11/2007, 10:30 AM
You will get varied opinions, but having seen both and owned an AP I don't see much difference. They both have their own problems. From personal experience:

The AP has issues with it's stock fan on the Power Compact Version, and after buying it most people want to upgrade to the 150 HQI anyway. Some people upgrade the pump right away with a maxi-jet 1200 however I never did and don't have a flow issue.

I will let the JBJ people talk about the issues with their tank, but from what I have seen from where I work some people have had issues with the top supports. Also ballasts seem to be a common problem, usually right after the stores return/warranty runs out.

However, I will say without a doubt both are quality products. I prefered the 150 HQI Aquapod because I got everything I needed right away and didn't make any real modifications other then a canister filter without sponges or bio-material to help with phos/carbon.

Hope that helps!

TMPoften
05/11/2007, 10:53 AM
I have both the Aquapod and JBJ and have yet to run into any problems with either of them. I will agree that they are both quality products. I have no experience with the biocube so I am not sure about those.

ckekelle
05/11/2007, 11:05 AM
I have the 29 and 14 gal Bio Cubes. I agree. I think Oceanic makes a superior product. I have been buying Oceanic for over 25 years , so I am kind a partial. I think with any the key will be to upgrade lighting unless you are keeping softies. In my 29 with stock lighting I have a colt that has outgrown the tank in 5 months! Also with any, adding additional water flow. Again depending on what you are going to keep. Good Luck. You are in the right place to succeed. There are so many great people in Reef Central that love to help!!!!

SNAKEMANVET
05/11/2007, 03:06 PM
I have a jbj 12 dx and jbj 6 no problems with flow or heat.

hammerswinger
05/21/2007, 06:36 AM
I had a JBJ 6 gallon that cracked within a week, I replaced it with a Bio0 Cube 8 and could not be happier. Oceanic is perfect!

Eklikewhoa
05/21/2007, 08:29 AM
I have the JBJ NC12g and don't see why I would want it any way else!

Scuba Josh
05/21/2007, 09:00 AM
I have the BC29.Love it and has plenty of room in the back for mods. If I had to buy another tank, I would definately buy the RS32.

SHLove16
05/21/2007, 01:28 PM
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but...I have the regular JBJ nano cube 12, and I havn't had any issues with it yet.
-Simon

frogguy1
05/21/2007, 02:24 PM
Im a BC guy myself. Have the BC29 and love it. Oceanic is superior over AP and JBJ without a doubt. Obviously you pay more for a better product.

Shekki
05/21/2007, 05:50 PM
Check out nano-tuners. I just bought an Aquapod tank from them, sans hood. I've had two JBJ's and an Aquapod with hoods, and much prefer open tops now. You always have to be careful with the stock hoods because the hinges are flimsy and easy to break.

bigtank
05/27/2007, 07:39 PM
Do many "self-contained cube" people switch to standard tanks with separate components? I really want to get back into reefing this year and am debating the options out there.

I took down my 70 reef in 2002 when I left for the Army. I got out last year and the 70 is now a freshwater tank but it needs a saltwater companion lol.

kingfisher62
05/27/2007, 09:27 PM
I am happy with my 14g biocube that i have had for almost 6 months!

The Yellow Longnose
05/27/2007, 09:34 PM
You should have made this a vote. I got a 24gallon JBJ and love it. Never have a problem. Getting that new JBJ picotope preety soon.
Joe

Mark426
05/28/2007, 05:58 AM
The new JBJ 28G with the MH light MIGHT be the answer to the "all-n-one" concept. Looks like it comes with most of the required mods already done. I am waiting to see how it goes before I jump in and start thinking about buying one. I have a heavily modded 12G JBJ (nanocustoms) nanocube and couldnt be happier.

All of the "all-n-one" cubes have good and bad points, after looking at every brand in person..... I gave my vote to JBJ.

asch803
05/29/2007, 09:12 PM
has anyone heard of or used the shin mao nano cubes? they are made in Taiwan i believe...my lfs has a few and they look MUCH better built than any of the above mentioned nanos...they come with MJ Dolphin lights with either pc's or 150 w hqi's with t5 actinics...check out the site and let me know if anyone has this...the lfs has had one up and running beautifully with VERY little maintenance for about 4 months and the corals are doing great! "www.shinmao-aqua.com"