PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Deltec style diy skimmer knockoff plans

rsteagall
05/11/2007, 10:51 AM
I'm looking for some knockoff plans to copy a Deltec 851 Skimmer.

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap851.php

I was over at a guys house selling one the other day and we got to talking about why they are so expensive. Neither of us understood. The Eheim 1260 that it comes with is around $120. Hard to believe the needlewheel for that pump and all the parts to make it are $1000+.

Anyway, can someone fill my feeble brain with some information about that pump and where to get a needlewheel for it as well as some knock off dimensions or plans for this skimmer or the like?

RichConley
05/11/2007, 11:52 AM
Just buy a Reef Octopus DDNW-200 (recirc 200) and throw a meshwheel on it. Same dimensions, will draw more air.

Deltec charges more because people will pay it.

Donw
05/11/2007, 02:46 PM
You can get the ehiem 1260 NW impellor for $110 at fins reef. I'd stick with your origonal plan and build a quality skimmer.

Don

dhnguyen
05/11/2007, 06:33 PM
Why would you want to build your own when you can get an Octopus or Aqua Euro skimmer for much less? MAkes no sense to me. Just buy the Octopus or the Aqua Euro and then use the pump you want.

The acrylic prices alone will make DIY so not worth it.

D.

slavearm
05/11/2007, 07:12 PM
Well, I was unable to find a 12" diameter skimmer from Aquaeuro or Octopus, so I am making my own.

As far as why you want to use eheims... reliability, silence, and a lower electric bill.