PDA

View Full Version : My last H&S skimmer thread: Help please

GuOD
05/11/2007, 12:17 PM
Hi guys,

My plans have continued to change (budget etc.) and I think I've finally settled on a mixed reef. I am going to add a picture later of my planned setup but I think I will try to get an external skimmer IF it can be placed on a block because I will only have baffles in my sump, no holes etc.

I've also completed my stock list and want to know what would be ideal for this stocking.

Display - 150g, sump = 4x2x2

Livestock:
Mixed reef

Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang
Rabbitfish
Lyretail Anthias
1-2 Ocellaris
Leopard wrasse
3 chromis

That will be all. Would an H&S A150 be good enough for this stocking?

I'll add my picture later! Thanks for input everyone. I'm sorry to keep going back and forth but budget constraints are making things difficult!

hatfielj
05/11/2007, 01:27 PM
I would go with the A250 if I were you. Its always best to get one slightly larger than what its maximum rating is for your tank. Though the a150 would work, you've got a fairly hefty fish list there with a couple of large tangs. I have a 200 1260 on my 120 with 50gal sump, though its a little larger than what I need, I feel comfortable knowing I could easily add more fish and be fine.

GuOD
05/11/2007, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately that's just out of my price range. If I need to remove fish then that will have to happen I guess. I'm hoping the A150 would be enough. I'm also considering the 200 internal.

Here is a picture of what the setup looks like:
http://i5.*******.com/6h2vp5e.jpg

My big question is - if I get an external skimmer will I be able to run it into my tank on the floor? The sump is 2' tall which means the output of the skimmer would need to be 2'+ but I'd still need to be able to feed it from my overflow. I don't fully understand where stuff goes in/comes out of those skimmers.

Reef Sponger
05/12/2007, 03:46 AM
GuOD, I've been following your changes and indecision. Since your budget has changed from original plans as well as going with a smaller demand bioload, I would recommend the new ATi Bubblemaster 200 as you will get performance similar to the Deltec AP701, so better than the H&S A150. Based on your sump setup, you are better with a in sump only skimmer anyways and the BM200 is an in sump only skimmer. Not sure what the price is in Canada, but in USA, it is $549, so well within your budget and much less than the 200-1260 that you are thinking of. The built quality is not going to be as good as either the H&S or Deltec, but then the price is only 1/2 the cost.

GuOD
05/12/2007, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9927103#post9927103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Sponger
GuOD, I've been following your changes and indecision. Since your budget has changed from original plans as well as going with a smaller demand bioload, I would recommend the new ATi Bubblemaster 200 as you will get performance similar to the Deltec AP701, so better than the H&S A150. Based on your sump setup, you are better with a in sump only skimmer anyways and the BM200 is an in sump only skimmer. Not sure what the price is in Canada, but in USA, it is $549, so well within your budget and much less than the 200-1260 that you are thinking of. The built quality is not going to be as good as either the H&S or Deltec, but then the price is only 1/2 the cost.

Thanks very much Reef Sponger! I know it can be annoying when someone is constantly changing his/her mind. Unfortunately I'm not the only one involved in funding this project so things are sometimes changed on me.

The BM250 is within my budget and I've been emailing Ed (but he's busy now) so I'm waiting to here back from him. If Ed has the BM250 then I will likely purchase it from him. I think insump design would work easier for me too! (zero risk of overflowing onto the floor is nice :)) and less plumbing!

Are the BM250s backordered? I did a quick search last night and couldn't find them for sale anywhere.

Reef Sponger
05/12/2007, 10:58 AM
I wasn't implying that you keep changing your mind as we all understand that things change, so I definitely understand frustration in trying to rework your plans and stay within a budget.

The last I heard, Ed either had one unit left or he just sold his last unit yesterday and this is based on this thread that I just caught up reading on.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113879&postid=9922747#post9922747

markandkristen
05/12/2007, 11:02 AM
Guod i would definately do the 250 as well.
i followed the thread of the 200 and for a while thier they needed to work some things out. the 250 however was skimming rock solid...

kodyboy
05/12/2007, 05:40 PM
If you have a budget of any kind I would go with the aquaeuro classic 400, it will skim at least as well as the H&S 150 out of the box and costs $280 shipped, as opposed to $600. If/when you need more skimming just add a new pump, such as a genx4100 or two, then you could massively increase the skimming for very little money, and effort.
The body of the classic 400 alone is well worth $280, and with a few mods it could hold its own with $1000+ skimmers. A 10 inch diameter cast acrylic body X 24 inches is a big skimmer though and you may not have the room. In addition the three pumps could heat up the tank a bit, so that may be a concern. Another thought is to add one of the sicce (spelling?) ATI bubblemaster pumps to the classic 400, really adding air for low wattage. I beleive someone around here was selling them for ~$110.

klam114
05/12/2007, 05:55 PM
GuOD, whatever skimmer you decide on. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Ed since you've been corresponding with him. You won't regret dealing with him. But I'm not sure if he ships across the border as I notice you are in Toronto. If he doesn't ship there, I'm sure that he will recommend you find someone local to service you.