PDA

View Full Version : Help with sick Clown

blkdrgn
05/12/2007, 03:31 AM
We have a True Percula that was in a 10g QT tank for about 3 weeks. We have two small powerheads and a Precision Marine HOT-1 skimmer. We also have one Turbo snail, 4 small Nassarius snails, one Sea Cucumber, and one Goby. I decided to clean the tank which had algae all over the tank. It clouded the tank but I put a power filter on temporary and it cleaned up in about 10 minutes. Now the next day the Clown was sitting at the bottom and now it is spinning on it's side and getting blown around the tank. I checked the water and Ammonia was 0, Nitrite 0.25, and Nitrate 5. I did a 25% water change. Five days ago was the last water change. I decided to take him out of that tank and put him in another which the water conditions are a lot better. I put him in a holding container but he's spinning all around. What should I try next? I already cleaned out the QT very good and put all new water. Should I put him back in? Also no signs of Ich or fin rot. He looks normal.

Purple Penguins
05/12/2007, 05:18 AM
how long has the tank been set up? it sounds like its going through its cycle

blkdrgn
05/12/2007, 11:39 AM
It's a brand new quarantine tank that has been setup for 3 weeks. Nothing in the tank. I though it doesn't cycle?

Kengaroo131
05/12/2007, 12:22 PM
Purple Penguins might have meant how long has the display been setup? to me, it sounds like its going through its cycle, if this is it, there could be amonea spikes and nitrate nitrite skipes that come so quick you dont even realize it. the smaller the tank the qucker somthing can form.

blkdrgn
05/12/2007, 12:39 PM
It was something like this.

1. 1st day, filled with water and installed power filters
2. 3rd day, added Clown, Goby, Sea Cucumber, and Turbo snail.
3. 2nd week, replaced power filters and install a protein skimmer.
4. 3rd week, added Nassarius snails, everything fine
5. 3 1/2 weeks, cleaned the tank of algae
6. Day after, Clown is sick, Nitrite and Nitrate is up. 25% water change. Then stuck him in another tank where the water conditions are great.
7. Today, Clown a little better but still spinning

Do we just sit it out and wait or should we do something?

Kengaroo131
05/12/2007, 01:12 PM
my guess is that the tank is cycleing it can take up to a month to completly cycle in some cases. do the best you can to keep everything alive read alottttt do research on clown behavior and such. take your time with adding things to this hobby is mainly about paitents add things one by one not all at the same time. if your getting lots of algae growth im guessing its still cylceing, if you see little bubbles on the tank rock or in the algae thats another sign of an immature tank. give it time and keep checking your nitrates, nitrites, amonia, and PH levels. if every you see a sudden skipe, do a 20-25% water change. also doing daily small water changes once a week with help with the algae.

blkdrgn
05/12/2007, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9928932#post9928932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mariner908
if your getting lots of algae growth im guessing its still cylceing, if you see little bubbles on the tank rock or in the algae thats another sign of an immature tank.

Thanks, I'll wait and see what happens. BTW, are you talking about live rock when you say tank rock? There is no LR and I thought the algae was caused by ambient sun light since it's in the open garage.

Tank looks like this except it has a protein skimmer instead and half of the fake corals. Not to mention a couple small powerheads.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a232/pikherchu/Aquarium/IMG_2692_renamed.jpg

Kengaroo131
05/12/2007, 01:42 PM
yes i was refering to LR its fine if you dont have any, there should still be algae blooms when its cycleing its completly normal, like i said before just give it time and everything should work out fine.