PDA

View Full Version : Blue tang and nori

scengineer
05/12/2007, 05:58 AM
I got a blue tang about two weeks ago and I'm having some trouble getting him to eat from the algae clip.

He picks at live rock all day but I'm concerned that he's not getting enough.

I'm feeding him Seaweed Select Green Marine Algae by Ocean Nutrition. Its says its a naturally dried seaweed.

I have Entice by Seachem that is suppose to help finicky eaters but soaking the sheet of seaweed in it didn't seem to do much good.

I've got the clip near where he hangs out in the rock the most. As far as I know he's never taken even a look at it.

Any ideas?

woodycb
05/12/2007, 06:14 AM
try soaking it in garlic, like kent garlic extreme. My bristle tooth didnt eat from the clip for 2 weeks. Once he felt comfortable he eats like crazy.

Mare100
05/12/2007, 07:01 AM
Maybe try the Purple Algae. I have a Sailfin who doesn't want to bother much with the Green Algae....but goes crazy for the Purple.

M

Michelle L
05/12/2007, 07:19 AM
Take a rubber band and wrap the seaweed sheet around a small rock, then place it either among other rocks or on the sand bed. It will appear more natural than a clip and it may entice him to take a sample.

scengineer
05/12/2007, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9927517#post9927517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michelle L
Take a rubber band and wrap the seaweed sheet around a small rock, then place it either among other rocks or on the sand bed. It will appear more natural than a clip and it may entice him to take a sample.

I tried that but it was swarmed over by a dozen hermits before the tang even saw it.

alexb518
05/12/2007, 11:44 AM
i am guessing that you put the nori clip in recently, right? if so, it's normal that the fish wont swarm to it right away. i remember the first time i put a clip in, the first piece of nori lasted over a day and maybe two. now, it's gone in 10 minutes. give him a little time and he'll catch on to the fact that hand in the tank near the clip means food.

Whisperer
05/12/2007, 12:28 PM
I would place the clip in the same location everytime and back off. Do this daily until the fish becomes familiar and comfortable with it's presence. Had the same problem with my hippo before, it took him a while to get comfortable with the clip. Now, even my 2 perc clowns and sargeant major eat nori from the clip. My 2 firefishes eats whatever pieces drift their way too but never eat from the clip. Good luck and be patient.