PDA

View Full Version : sexuallity of true percs

bilge rat
05/12/2007, 10:22 AM
have done some reading on true percs...
if i buy a pair that havent gone sexual
will they naturally just one go male and one go female?

Amphiprion
05/12/2007, 10:31 AM
Well, they don't really go "sexual," however, they will develop into females eventually (usually with the stimulus of a lesser individual). Yes, if you acquire a young pair, they will naturally differentiate like that.

virginiadiver69
05/12/2007, 10:34 AM
It is my understanding that the larger more dominant fish will "go female". If that larger more dominant fish were to later be put in a pair with a still larger more dominant female the "first" female would revert to male status.
It's all so very cosmopolitan huh? :lol:

bilge rat
05/12/2007, 01:02 PM
thats pretty kool
theres a tank full up at petco
like 12 of em..
20$ per pair
true percs

ServantSoldier
05/12/2007, 03:59 PM
thats an amazing price..

rob28
05/12/2007, 04:02 PM
Make sure u QUARENTINE....

bertoni
05/12/2007, 09:18 PM
I don't think that females will revert to males, so make sure you get two juveniles.

returnofsid
05/12/2007, 09:26 PM
A school of clowns in the wild will stay "Juvenile" except for 2. The most dominant will become female and the next dominant will become male. The remainder stay juvenile. If the female were to die, the 3rd dominant will suddenly start growing and become the female, outgrowing the male. Once a Clown's sex is decided, it doesn't change. They are not able to "revert" from one sex back to juvenile or to another sex.

kau_cinta_ku
05/12/2007, 11:22 PM
a clown starts off as sexless then goes to male, once they found a pair the bigger dominant one will become female the littler one will be male and the others sexless. if the female dies the male become female and the next juvi. in line becomes male. however if to females are placed into a tank together they will fight to the death as they can't change sex after becomming female.

demonsp
05/13/2007, 02:00 AM
Yea best advice i heard here was buy juveniles. I purchased two tomato clowns both juvenile and both already swimming together at LFS. They where both about same size but was appearant which was the domonite of the both . She seemed to have a growth spert right after. She wont even share the anenome with him , poor guy hosts a star poylps just to be close to her. Typical male , will do anything for the right women.HEHE.

virginiadiver69
05/13/2007, 07:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9932126#post9932126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
She wont even share the anenome with him , poor guy hosts a star poylps just to be close to her. Typical male , will do anything for the right women.HEHE.

:lol:
Even in the wild we're kind of pathetic. :confused:

Thanks all for the good explanations. I have a better understanding now (I think).

spleify
05/13/2007, 08:59 AM
Read this, it will answer all your questions. Also try looking in the Anemones & Clownfish forum:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215088

seansod
05/13/2007, 11:08 AM
As long as they are juvs one will become the female (you will be able to tell in a couple of months, she will start to get bigger and will keep the little male in line).

Good Luck

make sure you QT them

ArgonDreams
05/13/2007, 11:18 AM
A school of clowns in the wild will stay "Juvenile" except for 2. The most dominant will become female and the next dominant will become male.

According to Joyce is "Clownfishes" this isn't the case. However, it doesn't add much to this thread.

It goes:

Juv -> Male -> Female

If you have more then 2 as best quoted from Clownfishes you can typically name them "Mom, Dad, Nursemaid and Goaway".

You can derive the meaning from that.