PDA

View Full Version : DKH Question

cybertec69
05/12/2007, 10:22 AM
I currently use B-Ionic dosing system, my DKH is at 12.2 and Calcium is at 380, is the DKH to high, in the Salifert sheet it states natural sea water has a reading of 8 DKH, are my levels to high and if they are how do I bring them down without effecting the calcium levels, thanks in advance.

Mike O'Brien
05/12/2007, 01:37 PM
I think the best way to go would be to add Calcium chloride to raise your Calcium level to where you want, then lower your dosage of both parts of the B-Ionic and let the alkalinity fall on its own.

Adjust your dose of both parts by the alkalinity of the tank after that.

Henry Bowman
05/12/2007, 03:43 PM
Yup,

A Dkh of 12 is not too too high. A drastic change is worse than it being at this level.

Just let it fall (the Dkh) on it's own. Dont push the Ca too much or it will precipitate (snowstorm looking appearance) in your tank. This (the precipitation) is not a real good thing. IF this should happen, your Ca will drop like a rock.

Sooooo, like I stated, the Dkh will fall over a period of time. Just keep the Ca supplements to maintain the current level or a little higher but not much.

You should be OK.

BONDQ
05/12/2007, 04:21 PM
I would suggest reading Randy's articles on Calcium and Alkalinity. They are stickied at the top of this forum with the rest of his articles.