PDA

View Full Version : What does your Potter's eat?

polypboy
05/12/2007, 12:07 PM
There's much talk about Potter's angels on the boards and a few people who seem to have had some luck with them. Whether you've had and lost one, got one at the moment or ideally, have had one for years, it'd be really useful to know what foods you've had success with both when getting them established and after. Least we can do is try and learn something from our losses and try and limit the number of very purdy little fishies snuffing it in our front rooms.

Me personally, I've had one and lost one. Took about 3 weeks to pursuade him to take any prepared foods, would nibble at rock and nori and also pygmy angel formula. After a couple of months, looked to be losing a bit of weight and colour and ultimately ended up in a Seio. :sad1:

Have been looking on t'internet for some info. on endemic Hawaiian macroalgae species that they'd graze on in the wild and there is some good info. but really poor info. on the ingredients of prepared seaweed flakes and nori mix.

Anyway, anyone else?

Jerry W
05/12/2007, 06:21 PM
The two I kept previously ate anything. Mysis, plankton, algae formulas, nori, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, pellets.. I kept the second one for over a year before trading it in. First one died due to my inexperience. By most accounts, long lived specimens are not too common.

Joshua1023
05/12/2007, 06:26 PM
Seems to be the same story w/ just about everyone I talk to. They take a few weeks of just picking at live rock and diatom algae. Then after about 3 weeks they finally see what is going on w/ the other fish and start to eat the prepared foods.

Mine goes nuts over cyclopeez granules. Never touches nori.

1F2FRFBF
05/12/2007, 11:03 PM
Mine has eaten hair algae and pods (I watch him pick them off the glass), and has recently started eating Spectrum pellets. He's the only fish in the tank right now, and I've had him for a few weeks.

polypboy
05/13/2007, 09:26 AM
Many thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Sigmund
05/14/2007, 07:12 AM
There isn't anything mine doesn't eat. I feed him:
Brine
Live Brine
Mysis
Spirulina Flakes
Angel Formula 1
Red & Green Algae Sheets
Hair Algae
Picks of the rocks

Make sure before you buy it you see it eat. If it eats prepared foods once, chances are it will do it again...

polypboy
05/21/2007, 05:57 AM
Also forgot to mention that I've had loads more success using feeding clips than just dropping food into the water column. Have a Golden Angel that has been feeding well from one for about a year now but still won't take anything I drop in elsewhere.

silvers
05/21/2007, 06:05 AM
Mine was eating prepared foods before I got him. he eats eavery thing that goes in the tank

mattgreene22
06/10/2007, 10:58 PM
considering one of these for a 30g cube. how often are you guys feeding your potters?

A sea K
06/11/2007, 07:07 AM
I wanted a potters but decided to pass due to their reputation on feeding and longevity. After seeing the same potters at my LFS for over 2 months eating and staying healthy I decided it would be worth the risk. This turned out to be a good decision. He easily adjusted to the tank and eats pretty much everything(cyclopeeze,Enriched brine,spectrum pellets,spirulina flake,PE mysis, and formula 1) including Nori from day one. Ive had him for 4 months and it is going well.
Getting a healthy and eating fish is the most important and difficult aspect to success, IMO

GovtCheese
06/11/2007, 07:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9928701#post9928701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by polypboy
and ultimately ended up in a Seio. :sad1:

man... I have definitely seen this depressing picture {generally speaking} :bum:

eagleONE
06/11/2007, 11:46 AM
Mines is currently eating mysis and cyclopeeze. I'm trying to get it to feed flakes, but we'll see if it happens.

edsimmons
06/11/2007, 02:03 PM
Mine ate corals! so i took him back the LFS

He did fine for about 6mo never even looked at corals then all of sudden one day started eating montis like crazy!

flasher1
06/11/2007, 07:01 PM
my potters is weird...he wont eat sponge or corals or algae, but he will eat any meaty food and pellets. I have had mine for almost half a year now and the trick is to keep him fed and soak his food in garlic.