PDA

View Full Version : Fish naming

mantis32
05/13/2007, 11:08 AM
Anyone here name their fish? I just read a post about someone getting out of the hobby and how sad it will be to let go of one of his prized fish. Makes me wonder...does anyone name their fish?
Do you take it a step further...do you name your corals?

TriniStylez
05/13/2007, 11:10 AM
My girlfriend and I have named our fish...

Don Juan, Ghengis khan, Crush and Bob.

Have you named your fish?

MusMusculus
05/13/2007, 11:11 AM
If it moves, it gets a name. My Thuridilla gracilis sea slugs are named Gracey and Sluggo. :lol:

justinl
05/13/2007, 11:46 AM
I got a mantis named Trogdor and whatever CUC goes into his tank (8gal reef) is part of the "walking dead"

Whisperer
05/13/2007, 12:02 PM
I only call them names when they misbehave.:lol:

Rewd
05/13/2007, 05:56 PM
My coworker named my black clownfish Omen (which he liked because it's Nemo backwards)

other then that, i don't name mine :)

onano
05/13/2007, 06:20 PM
My Kids name the fish..

We have Nemo (of course), Hoppy (2 spot goby), & Fire Trucky (Purple Firefish) in the 24G nano.

No one in the 75 has gotten a name yet?!?!?!

JokerGirl
05/13/2007, 06:31 PM
My boyfriend named a couple of the things in our tank.

The CBS is named Jacques and our starfish is named Patrick.

My Kole Tang is otherwise known as "Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles."

Kengar
05/13/2007, 07:07 PM
My porcupine puffer of long ago was named "Fatboy"

kathainbowen
05/13/2007, 07:30 PM
My current clownfish is Minerva. The other one that had resided with Minerva jumped two weeks ago, and I didn't find him until he was a very crispy critter.

Now, here's where I must warn you.... never allow people on LIVEJOURNAL to name your animals or pets. These are some of the real names my pets ended up getting saddled with because, after sixteen years, I've just run out of names. They always end up being funny and great names, but absolutely ridiculous. Check these out.

Pookie King of the Deep (the crispy clownfish)

Antigone Decepticon Frying Pan (coral beauty angelfish)

Jacques Jemima Coustea (skunk cleaner shrimp and mascot for Pancakes!)

Andy (peppermint shrimp that Jacques ate)

However, my personal favorites had to be the names my pet turtles got saddled with because of livejournal...

Walton Turtlebot (red eared slider)
Sir Thomas the Duke of Kent (musk turtle)

okkiedokki
05/13/2007, 07:35 PM
When I first set my tank up my wife wanted to name the fish but I try not to because if they die names tend to make me more attached to them which would lead to me being more sad about losses.

DreamerTheresa
05/13/2007, 07:40 PM
Our Royal Gramma with the attitude is Jermaine.
Our crack-addict-like chromis is Spaz.
The cleaner shrimp is Pierre.

frederickk
05/13/2007, 08:15 PM
With just recently name our Chevron tang Ron....

cbeitel
05/13/2007, 09:53 PM
If it moves, it gets a name.

Same thing in my house. No corals named though.

My daughter named a 37lb rock in the tank. "Monster of the deep". :p

Amphiprion
05/13/2007, 09:57 PM
sorry, i have never named a single fish that i have owned. i don't even recall naming them as a child, either.

corals b 4 bills
05/13/2007, 11:24 PM
My wife coined the name B*tch for my aging gold bar clown because EVERY time our hands go into the tank she bites us, :mad2: she named our monster brittle star sigmond:p , I named our unicorn "pig". ah aren't those names that roll off the tounge. :D

davidryder
05/13/2007, 11:50 PM
Louie2 (Cleaner shrimp), Mr Tang (Yellow Tang), Anthias, Spartapus (O. Clown)... my GF names them

adimal
05/13/2007, 11:53 PM
whats with all the french names for cleaner shrimp?

corals b 4 bills
05/13/2007, 11:59 PM
Im sure it's from the NEMO movie.

Der_Iron_Chef
05/14/2007, 12:21 AM
My Hippo Tang's name is Tina, so when it's time for a feeding, I can say, "Tina, you fat lard! Come get some dinner!"

AquaReeferMan
05/14/2007, 01:09 AM
The only fish that has a name is my Hippo Tang. Im sure everyone knows what it is so I wont even say it.

reefez
05/14/2007, 02:09 AM
My fish all have names that my wife gave them. None of which I can say on here :) JK She likes them just fine. I don't think she would ever pour Teraki sauce into my tank like someone elses wife did on this board. But seriously my Sailfin tang who is the boss of the tank is named Fin! My Marine Beta is named Comet, My pair of Vanautu Tomato clowns are homey and clown. Yellow tang is Pooh, purple tang is Freckles, coral beauty is Bunny,

frederickk
05/14/2007, 03:33 PM
Does anyone as ever named their clown fish other than nemo?
I do have two and can't give them an other name.

LPCHPC
05/14/2007, 04:16 PM
two clowns--Bozo and Krusty

hootie51
05/14/2007, 04:52 PM
I like to name my fish but I have a hard time coming up with names at first so usually they are just my "new fish" for a couple of weeks! My flame angel is Pyro, my clown is Al, my blue midas blenny is Indy, and my possum wrasse is Leia (I'm a Star Wars fanatic)!

mantis32
05/21/2007, 03:23 PM
Interesting names. I've tried to name my fish, but then I forget their names, so I gave up.

oli5
05/21/2007, 03:32 PM
I have Spot (Domino Damsel), Pellow (Yellow Chromis), Browny(Maroon Clown), Blenny (Scooter Blenny), Spike (Foxface), and Antenna (Cleaner Shrimp)

b.branscombe
05/21/2007, 03:38 PM
I have six cleaner shrimp and two flasher wrasse that get new names every time I feed the corals. Usually whatever profanity enters my head first.

drstupid
05/21/2007, 03:46 PM
we've crusty the clownfish, pooh tang (as in "winnie the..."), a clam named cleveland steamer (as in "22nd/24th president of the US of A"), jack blennie, and foxy cleopatra (foxface of course). the mandarin and CBB are strangely anonymous. i refuse to name chromis.

mantis32
05/21/2007, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9986111#post9986111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by b.branscombe
I have six cleaner shrimp and two flasher wrasse that get new names every time I feed the corals. Usually whatever profanity enters my head first.

Hahahaha...that one made my day.

polwick
05/21/2007, 05:07 PM
Firefish -- Leon
Neon Goby -- Ricardo
Candy Cane (?) Goby -- Eliot
3 Chromis -- Sy, Sal, and Sid
Clownfish pair -- Nutty and Kima (after McNulty and Kima from The Wire on HBO)

We also named our cats after Sopranos characters.

RobSW1
05/21/2007, 05:44 PM
I think its kinda funny that the women in our lives always seem to name the fish.......then they claim that they hate the tank, but if one dies for some reason, they get so sad....

They just want us to think that they dont like our tanks, so they never have to buy anything for it, and dont have to do any of the maintenance, but stil get to secretly enjoy it.

polwick
05/21/2007, 06:04 PM
"I think its kinda funny that the women in our lives always seem to name the fish.......then they claim that they hate the tank, but if one dies for some reason, they get so sad....

They just want us to think that they dont like our tanks, so they never have to buy anything for it, and dont have to do any of the maintenance, but stil get to secretly enjoy it."

Maybe I'm lucky...my girlfriend and I are equally into our tank. I never thought of reefkeeping as a "guy's thing." Seems to be a lot of hateration thrown towards women on the forums.

mantis32
05/21/2007, 08:55 PM
My girlfriend will never put her hand in the tank.

bluetmax
05/21/2007, 09:45 PM
Puff Daddy (Porcupine Puffer)
Chiquita (Bananna Wrasse)
Booger (Lunar Wrasse)
Fred (Falco Hawkfish)
Butch (Yellow Watchman Goby)

bluetmax
05/21/2007, 09:49 PM
I also have two more that I am ashamed of. I started not to list them, but I guess I will any way. My girlfriend named them. Nemo and Coral. Guess what they are?

pikachusalad
05/22/2007, 01:02 PM
I'm just starting, and it's already not looking good. (I have a 3 year old human)

I have one yellow tail damsel, Bluey (aka Swimmy).

Then there's pinchy, grabby, bitey, slimey, pokey, slow-ey, shelly...for the love of...there's only a dozen in the CUC right now but they all have names.

ralphie16
05/22/2007, 01:06 PM
I have

Professor (porc puffer)
Leela (teardrop bf)
Kip (moorish idol)
Hermies (black masked puffer)
Bender (picasso)

Homer (yasah)
Marge (yasha)
Bart (randall)
Lisa (randall)
Maggie (RIP) (randall)

Umm, my kids named them, and I'm sticking with that story.

mantis32
05/22/2007, 01:10 PM
Ralphie....Ralph from the simpsons. ;) Don't lie, you just love the Simpsons since the Tracy Ulman show.

vanmo92
05/22/2007, 01:10 PM
Here are some links to web-pages with female,male, or gender free names for fish.

Female fish names:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/names_for_fish_females.htm#top2

Male fish names:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/names_for_fish_males.htm#top2

Gender-free:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/names_for_fish_no_gender.htm#top2

melev
05/22/2007, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9937329#post9937329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adimal
whats with all the french names for cleaner shrimp?

Because the French are famous for their maid service. ;)

I've named some of my fish. It comes down to having something that will stick.

My Flame Angel was named Phoenix.
The Naso is Spock, which is confusing. The fish is a female, so I mix up He and She all the time since I'm a Trekkie. Her blue eyebrows are why she got that name.
The Purple Tang is Crown Royal for obvious reasons.
The Six Line Wrasse is Spike.
I named a Powder Blue Tang Nibbles way before I realized how true that would be. :eek:

I know some won't name their fish because when they do they die. Rather superstitious imo. They die, named or unnamed. The name isn't the mark of the beast, so to speak. ;)

Someone had a great name for a fish recently that made me LOL but I can't remember what it was. Oh wait. It was "Mouthwash" as the fish was a Scopas Tang. http://melevsreef.com/g/laugh.gif

LuvFox118
05/22/2007, 01:18 PM
of course!

Two clowns: Oranjeboom and Yuko Yokoyama.
Oranjeboom is a dutch beer and Yuko is a name I saw in the credits for Kill Bill. Both names have great sounds.

Blue Damsel- Phinneus (usually called Phinn)

Orchid Dottyback - Lea (was gonna call her Leandro Barbosa after the PG for the Phx suns but as she is a girl it became Lea, sometimes Princess Lea)- the sweetest in the tank

Scarlet cleaner- Andy Dufresne - likes me to hand feed him mysis from time to time - even comes out of his cave to do it.

Skunk cleaner - Jacques (of course, how can you look at any skunk cleaner shrimp again and not think of that name)- he has quite the personality.

I havent named all the little hermit crabs, except for one because he is the biggest and is the only Zebra hermit I have. I named him Tito Puente (the drummer/percussionist). This crab always taps the rocks before he picks it clean. He's the hardest worker in the tank.

Nassarius snail- Inspector Gadget because he's just freakin' cool. And I saw him pull a crazy gogadgetgo move in the LFS.

I havent named anything else. But that very well could change.

It's easier to say hello to the tank when they have names. I think it allows them to receive the greetings and all the good vibes that you send.

SJGreene
05/22/2007, 01:20 PM
royal gramma named Robin Hood. Named of course by my 4 y.o. son.

Gotta love those Disney movies.

cesium salami
05/22/2007, 01:51 PM
My 2 year old named the clowns and tang in my tank:

Nemo and Jojo (clown fish)
Picses (Hippo tang)
Jumbo (skunk cleaner shrimp)
Rosencrantz or Rosey (flame hawkfish)
The Dame (yellow tailed damsel)

All the corals are just caled what type they are.

triggerhappy8
05/22/2007, 02:04 PM
My girlfriend also names mine, but it is ok since she at least came up with a few funny ones.

My coral beauty is named Sushi.
CBS named Alfredo
Humu Humu trigger named Big Kahuna
Lunare wrasse named Izze (not sure why either)
Lionfish named George (he is extremely curious... always comes over to say hi when I am doing anything, which makes me crazy since he is poisonous)
I used to have a Strawberry Hermit the size of a softball named Godzilla

whoopper
05/22/2007, 03:40 PM
I named my clown grumpy.