PDA

View Full Version : Scopas Hybrid & Hybrid fish general????

TIMMYE
05/13/2007, 04:21 PM
I was looking at a thread about a scopas hybrid. It looks the same as mine. What makes it a hybrid, between a black tang and a scopas?

Also how are people making these hybrid fishes? I have been seeing alot for sale online and localy. Is it justified for the price they charge? TIA

zemuron114
05/13/2007, 09:47 PM
its a natural occuring hybrid from christmas island. people aren't "making" them :) They are just as rare (if not more rare) then black tangs hence the price tag. They will be predominately all black with light bluish lines on the body (scopas part)

jda
05/14/2007, 09:14 AM
Mine was from xmas island as well. It was labled and came in as a black x scopas hybrid and was cheaper than a black. I got it before LA got their bunch and the price was a quarter of what they are now. Once they get to the divers den then the price gets crazy.

I still have mine and it is doing well like any zebrasoma.

TIMMYE
05/14/2007, 12:37 PM
I wasnt sure if these were cross breed like people do with dog. Like the pugel.

ralphie16
05/14/2007, 12:53 PM
lol whats a pugel?

TIMMYE
05/14/2007, 01:55 PM
half beagel half pug.... some people like these half breed dogs. I for one have to have pure breed. Staffodshir Bull Terriers to be exact.

Jens Kallmeyer
05/14/2007, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9940361#post9940361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TIMMYE
half beagel half pug....
There are also Labradoodles, Whoodles, Huskweilers, Gollies etc. etc. ...same as for Pseudochromis sankeyi x fridmani, Centropyge fisheri x resplendens and all those weird natural hybrids, as long as people are willing to pay for somebody will offer them, either tank bred (if possible) or wild caught. Personally I'd rather stick to the real stuff

jda
05/14/2007, 03:13 PM
As soon as I get my captive tang breeding enterprise setup, I will be crossing Nasos with Blacks. I want a black tang with a long snout and bright orange lips.

In the mean time, I guess that we will just have to live with what the ocean gives us. I guess that there are plenty more hybrids out there that we don't see because they aren't all that attractive.

Here is my black x scopas hybrid:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jdadams12/IMG_2756.jpg

TIMMYE
05/15/2007, 12:28 PM
My scopas looks just like him, with the blue markings and all. I got from him a big pet store that really does not know what they get....maybe I got lucky?

spotfin
05/15/2007, 07:13 PM
A few months ago a lfs store had a tank with a few yellow tangs in it. But, one looked different. It wasn't bright yellow like the other tangs and the eyes were dark. I could also see faint light blue lines on it, similar to a scopas tang. Could this fish have been a cross between a yellow tang and a scopas tang? I have never seen a scopas that was yellow.

luntiz
05/16/2007, 02:21 AM
Yellow Scopas are sold at my LFS, 40 bucks a pop. Looks they made it double in price since the fish is a mix of two.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9950084#post9950084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spotfin
A few months ago a lfs store had a tank with a few yellow tangs in it. But, one looked different. It wasn't bright yellow like the other tangs and the eyes were dark. I could also see faint light blue lines on it, similar to a scopas tang. Could this fish have been a cross between a yellow tang and a scopas tang? I have never seen a scopas that was yellow.