PDA

View Full Version : foggy eyes

Absint Reefer
05/13/2007, 06:23 PM
I have a queen trigger in a 75gl doing very well fat and active but her eyes look glossy just like when you get moisture in a headlight of a car I tested the water nitrate 10-20, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and ph 8. I do a 18gl water change tomorrow so the nitrate will most likely go down. I feed her vitamin enriched and garlic soaked trigger formula, krill, squid and the occasional fiddler crab anyone have any ideas?

Wolverine
05/14/2007, 04:48 AM
Nitrates at that level aren't going to cause any problem for a trigger.
Whenever you have clouded eyes, there are essentially two things it can be. The one we worry about is an infection commonly known as "popeye". Often this starts relatively slowly as a white or cream-colored spot and then spreads to cover the eye.
The other, and, IME, much more common problem is that the fish has scraped its eyes on something, and they become cloudy (I could get into the molecular-level explanation for why this happens, but it's probably not worth it). This tends to clear up in a few days on its own. It also usually looks less creamy, and more like frosted glass.

Now onto the bigger issue, a 75g will not be a large enough tank for a queen trigger for very long.

Dave