PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Tile fish anyone?

critmin
05/14/2007, 12:32 AM
I just got two flashing tile fish and I know they are very delicate so I was wondering if anyone else has them and what their experiences are and what kind of advice could they give me. They look pretty healthy and after a day of hiding they have come our and started to swim around. Do they have any favorite foods? Thank you.

gasman059
05/14/2007, 07:14 AM
Purple in my cxase-off course they jump so b careful.
other than that good luck one of my fav fish.

triggerfish1976
05/14/2007, 07:20 AM
Very delicate fish. I recently had three shipped to me and two died in transit and the other was pretty banged up and only lived for a few days after arrival. I kept a pair a couple of years ago for about 8 months but they were not easy to keep alive.
They are probably the most delicate of the tilefish available to hobbyists which is saying something.
They spook very easily so I would recommend not putting them with Tangs, Angels, or any other agressive reef tank fish because they will be reluctant to come out of their burrows if there are larger more active fish swimming around. They should be placed in a tank with a lot of open sand area. They will immediately create a burrow under your rock work and don't be surprised if they stay in their burrow for the first couple of days. I generally keep my tank lights off for a day or so and let them get accimilated. The pair that I kept for 8 months were reluctant to eat for the first week but eventually ate mysis, brine, and blood worms.
These guys are also expert jumpers so make sure that the top of the tank is covered.

critmin
05/14/2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info. Actually the funny thing is that I put them in my prop tank and I didn't even realize it but it turns out that my tank has almost all the necessary components of a successful tilefish tank because it has two levels and the bottom level is well shaded so they come out more and it is also almost impossible for them to jump out given the arrangement of the tank. I am just worried about them eating because I tried to feed them yesterday but they didn't seem interested. I know how delicate these fish can be and I was very hesitant when purchasing them but I was able to find very healthy ones and a great price two. I'll keep you guys posted on how they are doing. Oh and they seem to like swimming together.