PDA

View Full Version : 14 Gal. Biocube Issues?

Wooly
05/14/2007, 05:05 AM
I just bought a used 14 gal. Biocube and found that it has pre existing issues. 1. One of the ballasts will not keep the lights working. I switched the cables and it does the same when hooked up to the other light. Have there been issues with this? 2. The fans are noisy. I know that I can replace them. I just wondered if any one else has noticed these or any other issues that I might need to be aware of. Thanks.:rolleyes:

ckekelle
05/14/2007, 08:03 AM
I have the 14 and 29 gal bios and have had no issues. The 14's fan is much quieter than the 29. I would look at nanotuners.com if you do a lighting upgrade you could fix both problems. 70watt MH?

rodstar
05/14/2007, 10:36 AM
My BC 14g is about 5 months old and one of my ballasts just went. Same problem you are having now. I am having trouble finding a replacement and have yet to hear back from Oceanic (I sent an email that bounced and left a voicemail with no reply).

As for the fans, mine run nice and quiet. Every once in a while they will rattle a bit and a little tap on the hood solves this.

Overall, a very nice tank...

Wooly
05/14/2007, 11:16 AM
I have thought about the MH upgrade through nanotuners, but was curious if there would still be room for the actinics. Or is there even a need for them after you put in the MH. Also, which one? 10,000 or the 20,000. I plan on having lots of corals, and maybe a perc and something else really small + a few snails of various sorts.

seti2020
05/14/2007, 12:03 PM
There is no room for actinics when you do the Metal Halide upgrade for the14 gallon BioCube. The 29 has an option for both a metal halide plus actinic. However, you could use a 20 K bulb.

Plus, dont forget about heat, there is good chance you may need a chiller with the Metal Halide upgrade from nanotuner.