PDA

View Full Version : Water Return route question....

papania182
05/14/2007, 01:45 PM
Quick question about sending the water back up from the sump to the aquarium. Here is my tank background:

Just starting to set up my first tank. I have a 46 Gallon bowfront all-glass aquarium. I drilled a 1.5" bulkhead in the back left corner of the tank. This will drain to a 10 gallon sump below the tank, enclosed in the stand I will be building.

So, since the overflow box is in the back left corner, where should the return water from the sump to the main tank go?? Or what would be some good options. I am reading i should put the return water in through the back right corner (opposite of where it is being sucked out). I am going to have a submersible pump (not external) directly in the 10 gallon sump. I was thinking of pumping it back up the outside of the stand, and then down into the tank, but...what is the best way to get it back to the pump and circulated???

Any responses, ideas, comments are greatly appreciated!!

fuzzyt
05/14/2007, 01:58 PM
First of all, welcome to RC! :D

A return to the right side of the tank would be fine. As the pump pushes water out of your sump, it flows into the tank. At some point, it gets high enough and overflows back to the sump through the bulkhead. A submersible pump is easy to set up in this manner as it minimizes the amount of plumbing required. Sounds like you have the idea pretty much down.

Good luck!!! :)

bucky145
05/14/2007, 02:00 PM
I would drill the tank for a inch bulkhead right next to the drain and run it up to the surface in the overflow that way you wont see it and you can get the tank close to the wall.And keep all the plumbing hidden under the stand

papania182
05/14/2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the quick answer. One more question though. For the water being pumped back up to the tank....should I have it spill in over the top, or run the return pipe/tube farther down the tank.

Also, I am thinking I should be able to use the overflow/sump/pump setup to achieve at least 10 time water turnover per hour. But, even with this, I would still need to use some type of powerhead(s) or wavemaker to create the necesary turbulation required, correct???

sage_commander
05/14/2007, 02:30 PM
I think you will want the return line to go in at the top. Keep in mind that if you have a power interruption your return line will want to siphon water back into the sump, causing a flood.

Unless, of course, you have enough reserve space in your sump to accomodate this. But I have a 10g sump too and there's not much room there.

bucky145
05/14/2007, 02:35 PM
oh I forgot to to mention to put a check valve in line on the return line so if the power goes out it wont let the water siphon back into the sump it keeps it in the tank and you can get these at home depot or lowes

fuzzyt
05/14/2007, 02:42 PM
If you have a standard return line with a "hook" on the end to fit over the edge of the tank, then the return should sit right below your waterline in the display. In case of a power failure, you can drill a small hole above the waterline that still empties into the display. This small hole will break the siphon to the sump. I prefer this method to the check valves as I can get pretty cheap, and a free hole compared to buying anything is always a good deal in my book. :D

Oh, and yes, you would generally want more flow in the tank. A couple of powerheads is a good option if you don't mind them being in the display.

papania182
05/14/2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. And thanks fuzzyt for the "drilling the small hole" idea.

fuzzyt, this standard return line, is this something I could build, and what material (pipe, I am thinking). Or would it be Also, with drilling the small hole, the water will not squirt out too fast? Just wondering. Thanks again for your help!!!

latazyo
05/14/2007, 03:08 PM
absolutely go with fuzzy's recommendation

check valve = crap

the only way the drilled hole can fail is if it somehow becomes clogged, which I have never seen in my life

if you're plumbing with PVC, just use a few 90 elbows and it'll hold itself on the tank

fuzzyt
05/14/2007, 03:13 PM
No, the water wont come out to fast. I purchased a return kit from my LFS. Cost about $10 or so. It has a barb on one side to connect hose to. It is shaped somewhat like a hook.

Here is an example.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbing_parts_fittings_return_u-tube.asp

On the exit side, just drill a small hole just above waterline. Mine is about 1/8" I believe. All it has to do is suck in air if the power drops. This will break the siphon.

latazyo
05/14/2007, 03:25 PM
I recommend to drill the hole just slightly below the water line OR (if you still want it above the waterline) on the bottom of the line (so water squirts down)

I did mine above the waterline facing sideways and it sucked air in like a venturi and put bubbles in the tank, so I had to redo it

I have mine about 1/8-1/4 inch under water, so when the pump is off it siphons a little bit and then the siphon breaks...my sump can handle it, but everyone's setup is different

papania182
05/14/2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks again for all the advice. Eventually when I get everything setup I will post pics, could be a few months though, as I am taking things slowly. Next step... building a stand!

latazyo
05/14/2007, 05:20 PM
good job taking your time

I started my newest tank in august and didnt get water in it until november and just added my first fish two weeks ago