PDA

View Full Version : High Salinity!

mwhite
05/14/2007, 06:39 PM
A friend of my son was moving so he gave me his corals on Saturday. He wasn't really into the hobby and used his tank as a decoration. He had a "professional" do the maintenance (and paid dearly for it).

I took buckets and carried the corals home in his tank water. When I got ready to acclimatize them to my tank I checked the salinity of his water. Would you believe it was 1.036?

He had a mixture of softies and LFS and a few tangs in a 75G with a sump. They all seemed be doing well but I never heard of corals surviving in that high a salinity. I am VERY slowly reducing the salinity to 1.026. I can't imagine the shock of adding them directly to my tank.

Nuuze
05/14/2007, 07:35 PM
I had simlar readings when I started up a 58G due to a bad salinity meter, the float style ones. My corals seemed okay that high but I slowly dropped salinity over the next few days and got more polyp extension once I got closer to 1.026.

Joe LoPresti
05/14/2007, 09:40 PM
Me too Nuuze,
I had an old crappy salinity meter and all my corals were receding. I took my water to my LFS and he tested some in the refractometer and I was stunned when he told me the salinity was 1.038!!!!! I can't believe anything lived at all...
Needless to say, I did the same thing you are doing mwhite, I slowly, slowly, slowly dropped the salinity and once it got down to about 1.026 everything was much happier. I can only imagine those guys would not have been very happy had you dropped them into your tank directly!!