PDA

View Full Version : help with hospital/quarantine tank

rusty-nail-z
05/14/2007, 07:30 PM
hey, im throwin my two clownfish into a lil hospital tank for treatment. One of them most likely has ich and I dont want to take any chances. I have a 10g, power filter and heater that Ill run it, and Ill be using tank water from my main tank. My question is about the filter media. I wont be using carbon, so the meds work, but I was thinking about using the mesh packets( that house the filter media) from my main tank. Would this benefit the biological filtration over in my hospital tank, or should I throw in a fresh carbonless mesh packet int othe filter. Any advice is apreciated, IM tryin to get this thing goin tonight...

alan214
05/14/2007, 07:57 PM
Either of those approaches should be fine. You just need something that can house the beneficial bacteria needed to cycle the tank. If you could find a way to fit a foam block into the power filter's media chamber, that would do the trick.

Bear in mind that it will take about a week for the initial ammonia spike to subside before you can safely add your fish to the QT tank. Be sure you're testing for both ammonia as well as nitrite.

rusty-nail-z
05/14/2007, 08:12 PM
will there be that spike even with half tank half new water?