PDA

View Full Version : How to clean sand

bramjansen
05/14/2007, 09:58 PM
I got several buckets of sand. Its probably all dead now. It has a level of water, but I am sure most died out. What is the best way to clean this sand? Thanks!

bertoni
05/14/2007, 11:50 PM
Well, you can try rinsing it with some fresh water. That'll get out some of the nutrients. Personally, I'd just pitch it, but it might be okay to use.

Nano Chris
05/15/2007, 07:27 AM
Much cheaper to go and buy new sand, i wouldn't take the risk, although you can its your tank.

bramjansen
05/16/2007, 11:15 AM
bumbiebuuuump....anyone???

jeeperrs
05/16/2007, 11:38 AM
I have heard of people taking the sand and placing it in a large bucket. You will then place fresh saltwater in the sand and move the sand around. Let it sit overnight, then remove the junk on the top and the water. You can do this several times to help clean it. I do want to warn you that if they added chemicals to the sand that this method may not get rid of the chemicals, the chemicals could still hurt what is in your tank.

papagimp
05/16/2007, 11:45 AM
Agree with jeeperrs here.

If it was your sand and you've been hangin on to it, then add a smidge at a time, over the course of lets say a month or so, slowly. If it's from an unknown source and you do not know 100% what was added to their tank, better to be safe and ditch it.