PDA

View Full Version : Best reef animal for consuming bacteria

chrisjames
05/15/2007, 12:23 PM
With all the interest in low nutrient carbon driven reefs does anyone have any particular recommendations for animals that might be useful in naturally consuming the additional bacteria created...I'm thinking maybe sponges, mussels perhaps clams but what about some others? Ideally I’d like something non photosynthetic ,easy to keep, and fairly long lived.

Justin James
05/15/2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe a flame scallop would work for you. They don't need the light.

bassettmd
05/15/2007, 09:17 PM
I was under the impression that flame scallops are not very long lived in the home aquaria...

billsreef
05/16/2007, 06:45 PM
Flame scallops need lots of phytoplankton.

For bacteria, sponges are one of the most efficient filter feeders of bacterioplankton.

chrisjames
05/17/2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that. Are there any particular sponge species you could recommend?

billsreef
05/17/2007, 07:32 PM
I'd look into culturing the cryptic type encrusting sponges that are commonly found on live rock. They tend to be rather hardy as opposed to the larger more ornamental specimens.

hahnmeister
05/19/2007, 12:52 AM
If the bacteria are free-swimming, a skimmer is all you should need.

Paul B
05/19/2007, 04:38 AM
I don't think having an animal that consumes bacteria would help with anything. If there are any nutrients at all that bacteria could consume they will grow within hours to fill that need. If a sponge eats a portion of the bacteria they will very quickly reproduce to fill the void.
Paul

Spracklcat
05/22/2007, 07:24 PM
I agree with Paul and Bill (HI Bill :) ). Where there are nutrients, there will be bacteria, and fast. And if you have any sponges at all in your system they will help eat some of the bacteria. Even better: UV and ozone. Bu this is only going to address the bacteria in the water column, which are way fewwer than what is growing in/on rock and corals. But why would you want to try to rid your system of them? They process wastes and are a vital part of the ecosystem you've created, critical to the health of the system and the corals within.

hahnmeister
05/22/2007, 07:33 PM
Bleach!