PDA

View Full Version : Sea Stars - which is ok for a reef?

rfdoc
05/15/2007, 01:37 PM
I would like to add a starfish to my tank. I'm debating between a banded serpent star or a burgundy sea star (from liveaquaria). Are both reef safe, or is one better than the other? Also would one be more visible during the day than the other? I'd prefer not to buy one and then never see it again. I also like the blue linckia but I read they do not last long in captivity.

My current & planned livestock is -

2 false percs
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 torch coral
1 royal gramma (planned)
1 watchman goby (planned)
1 pistol shrimp (planned)
1 blue tuxedo urchin (planned)
softies & lps corals (planned)

papagimp
05/15/2007, 03:10 PM
Unfortuantley, the only truely reef safe starfish and ones that will not starve eventually, are not the kind you'll see alot. Serpant stars are great detrivores and general scavangers, but you'll hardly see him, other than a leg or so sticking out here and there. A serpant would be your best choice. Fromia's are also reef safe and you'd probably see them more often but may not have the neccessary food growing in your tank to support one.

seapug
05/15/2007, 03:10 PM
I think the "Burgundy Stars" are Linkias. I'd suggest a Fromia. They are brightly colored and stay small. Mine cruises all around the tank day and night.

rfdoc
05/15/2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure I've seen a fromia, thanks for the replies going to check one out now and see what the requirements are.

Nano Chris
05/15/2007, 09:28 PM
I have a serpent star, i have a few caves in my rock work, and i see him most of the time, and he comes out at night. Really cool.

alan214
05/15/2007, 09:41 PM
I've had a miniature red/orange Linkia in my tank for quite a while (2+ years). It does not bother anything and vice versa. It will disappear for a few days at a time but when it is in it's visible cycle, you see it nearly all the time.

bertoni
05/15/2007, 09:54 PM
The serpent stars sometimes are predatory, but the banded seem to be relatively safe. I didn't think that Tamaria were reef-safe, and many of the starfish seem to do badly in our tanks.

Angel*Fish
05/15/2007, 10:11 PM
I agree with Bertoni. And the green serpent stars are notorious fish predators, dubbed "the green death". If you decide to get a brittle star, and IMHO that type of star is just about the only decent aquarium candidate, be sure you try to keep it well fed. Not a guarantee, though.

jer77
05/15/2007, 11:48 PM
The Tamaria sp. stars can be reef-safe, but sometimes will eat anemones, clams, and sponges. The green brittle stars can be fish eaters, but the other brittles are good but hide. A Fromia like Fromia milleporella will stay small and will be out during the day. The banded serpent star from there gets pretty big but is only active at night.

Joe LoPresti
05/16/2007, 12:27 AM
I have two banded serpent stars. They're very cool, just kinda low-profile, they don'y like to be "in the spotlight" if you know what I mean. One of my serpents is over 3 years old now. I didn't have much luck with my linkia star, they're beautiful but they aren't too hardy. Hope you choose a good one, whichever one you choose!!!

rfdoc
05/16/2007, 07:27 AM
I think I like the fromia marble starfish and the fact that it will stay small. Thanks for the suggestions.

SHLove16
05/16/2007, 01:29 PM
How big of a tank do the Fromia's need?

Angel*Fish
05/16/2007, 03:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9955197#post9955197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SHLove16
How big of a tank do the Fromia's need?
Not sure, but what does it eat?

seapug
05/16/2007, 03:47 PM
I keep mine in a 90. They are general detrivores. Mine does fine cruising the rocks and sand. Never bothers corals or clams.

JokerGirl
05/16/2007, 03:52 PM
You might be okay getting a Burgundy Linckia. I've had mine for about 7 months now and it's done great. It was missing two legs when I bought it. Those two legs have completely regrown. It also just recently dropped a leg which is now turning into a new star.

Best of luck.