PDA

View Full Version : heat related loss

jacksonpt
05/15/2007, 05:55 PM
Well, in the past week or so I've had some pretty drastic temperature fluctuations and they resulted in a loss... my purple-tipped frogspawn. Apparently a low of 74 degrees one night followed by a high of 89 2 days later is pretty stressful (duh). Too bad, it was doing really well and one of my favorite corals.

So now I'm dealing with the subsequent spike in levels (if I look at my tank wrong my levels spike... the joys of a 12g tank). I've got a few water changes to do over the next week or so, but hopefully once everything gets straightened away I'll be able to replace the coral.

I know that frogspawn are pretty common corals... hopefully someone out there will have a small frag available. I'd also be interested in a small hammer or a small pearl bubble, but they don't seem as common in these parts.

zanclus
05/15/2007, 08:36 PM
I have a pink tip frogspawn I can frag .

drbronx
05/15/2007, 08:55 PM
Nanos can definitely be challenging. Are you using a sump to increase total volume? Might be time for a bigger tank.

jacksonpt
05/16/2007, 06:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9951032#post9951032 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drbronx
Nanos can definitely be challenging. Are you using a sump to increase total volume? Might be time for a bigger tank.
Isn't it ALWAYS time for a bigger tank??? :D

It's my first summer with this sort of an all-in-one tank, so I'm still learning the temperature/evaporation patterns. Hopefully this will be the last of the heat-related problems.

nwrogers
05/16/2007, 08:17 AM
Heat related problems this time of year are very common IME. My tank had a similar temp swing, 75 – 82 and back again, just last week. I finally broke down and bought a reefkeeper to control my fans, heaters, and chiller. I try to check the temp in my tank 3 times a day just to be safe. Once in the morning before the lights come on, after work, and right before bed. Another thing I noticed is that all of the cheep digital thermometers I have had are junk. I am using a 1 dollar glass thermometer in-between the baffles in my sump now for back up. I can’t believe how off both of my digital thermometers were! The reefkeeper however is extremely accurate and it gives the same reading as the glass thermometer. I would recommend that everyone gets a glass thermometer for a second opinion if all you have is a digital one. Sometimes the digital ones give funky readings…

Nate

fatrip
05/16/2007, 08:50 AM
what kind of reef keeper do you have nate???

nwrogers
05/16/2007, 09:00 AM
It’s a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper 1…

http://digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper.html

I got it used for $100, if I bought one new I would get the one that hooks up the computer but the Reefkeeper 1 still seems like a nice unit.

fatrip
05/16/2007, 09:33 AM
dam nate now you are making it hard for me, i want to get a 42 in plasma for that room but now i think i am goin to have to take out of that and maybe get this...lol...its dam reef madness.... thanks nate, maybe now ill have an excuss to build another computer to run it...lol