PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Trios?

Cutiewitbooty
05/15/2007, 07:01 PM
Does anyone exactly know how a trio of clownfish works male/female wise? t one of my boyfriends maintance accounts there is a tri of f. percs that are always laying eggs and we always assumed that the larggest of the three was the female and the two small ones were 2 males. Well when we were there the other day we noticed that one of the small ones was gravid with eggs and there was no doubt that that one was a female. So could there be two females and one male? The largest of the three is conciderably larger then the other two so i would assume that one was a female? Any thoughts? Well here is a pic of the trio if anyone is cerious. thanks in advance :D

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/Amber1983/DSCF0693.jpg

traveller7
05/15/2007, 07:31 PM
There are a few documented cases of "unusual pairings", i.e. 2xFemale, 2xMale+1Female, etc.

IME Perc's and Ocellaris seem more tolerant of 3rd wheels, so who knows what is possible :)

bencozzy
05/15/2007, 08:32 PM
ive heard of that happening with clarkiis 2 Females and one male, theyd actually lay seperate nest and the male would swim between them trying to maintain both.

Jamie1210
05/16/2007, 12:26 AM
that sounds really interesting. has anyone here ever tried it? I'd love to give it a try with my true percs although I know my 25 gal tank is way to small! haha

JamesJR
05/16/2007, 07:53 AM
I had 5 onyx clowns in a 120 for over 5 years. eventually the others were just picked off and harrassed. Eventually I ended up with just the pair.