PDA

View Full Version : What are the settings? What do they do?

t5Nitro
05/15/2007, 08:20 PM
I have a canon 30D comming in with a few other lenses. Before I get it, I would like to ask around here and find out what some settings do.

I know there is aperature, f-stop, ISO, flash rate (is that what it's called?), white balance, and anything else?

I think the 30D has auto settings for white balance, for shade, day, raining, or things like that for example, but what about aperature, f-stop, ISO, or the flash rate?

This is my first DSLR camera, I have a sony that you can adjust those things on it too, but I could never figure out what to do with them.

Aperature - Can you explain what it is, and how to adjust it for certain types of images?

ISO - I think it is a lower number for less light let in the lense, or is it the opposite? When do you use a lower number/higher number? I remember adjusting that on the sony and sometimes when you moved, the screen was getting delayed kind of instead of moving at a regular speed as fast as you turn the camera.

Flash Rate - I don't think this is what it's called, but is there something that has to do with the flash?

F-Stop - What is it exactly? I ordered a 100mm f/2.8 lens. Is the 2.8 the F-Stop? You can adjust it using a wheel on most types of cameras correct? When is it best to lower the number/make the number higher?

Under low light situations if you wanted to take a pic of the tank at night, do you adjust the ISO for that? Do you make the number larger? I think the 30D will go to 3200 ISO?

Thanks for any help. Just confused and looking for advice on how to work the camera when I get it.

Rosseau
05/15/2007, 08:38 PM
Your best bet would be to find some websites/articles which explain these things.

I know edwing has a few good ones.

He'll be here any time now... :p

raddogz
05/15/2007, 10:30 PM
LOL :D

edwing206
05/15/2007, 11:42 PM
How did you know Rosseau? haha And it's actually Luis(see sig.) lol.
This is the site that I learned most of the little that I know.
http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/index.html
A couple sites???? You only need THE site.lol

t5Nitro
05/16/2007, 07:54 PM
Cool, thanks for the website.

jeffbrig
05/16/2007, 09:53 PM
wow, luis, that does look like a good site.

I would strongly recommend studying the chapter on Exposure. Understanding exposure is the most fundamentally important thing in photography. Once you've mastered that, then move on to composition.

edwing206
05/16/2007, 11:20 PM
^Yup. Good point.

TIMMYE
05/17/2007, 10:47 AM
That is a good site....one fo the beeter ones I have seen for newbies like myself...LOL