MarineTeng
05/15/2007, 09:57 PM
quick question in the recipe
here's the recipe from a thread
Materials:
5 Oysters
5 Mussels
5 Clams
5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar (not corn syrup, etc.)
200 mL of RO/DI water
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

here's my question
is it 10g, of red algae or spirulina or nori ?
or is it 10g of red algae
and 10g of spirulina and nori ?

DarkXerox
05/15/2007, 10:13 PM
10g of red and 10g of one of the greens (spirulina or nori). I'd use spriulina though since it blends a whole lot easier and doesn't leave little chunks like the nori does.

Are you keeping a lot of SPS and LPS in your tank? From your sig, it looks like your tank is all softies. It would be interesting to see how they fare with this recipe.

Also start slow, especially if you don't have a powerful skimmer (just use like a quarter of a cube once per week, a cube being around the size of a key on your keyboard). Good luck!

MarineTeng
05/15/2007, 10:21 PM
lol, yes i have sps lps softies, my signature is quite outdated
here's my two systems
55 with hob aquafuge with kenya trees, gsp and a couple zoas and some shrooms - might be moving some xenia in and some sps perhaps, lighting 4x54w t-5 skimmer css220
2nd tank
30 with 30 sump (no light on it yet)
many zoas, 3 clams, sps frogspawn, palys, acan blastos
i am curious as to how softies will do to, and i'm hoping it has a good effect especially on zoas and palys
where's a good place to get red algae?

DarkXerox
05/16/2007, 12:21 AM
Marine Depot has it, but your LFS might have it too:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TL3333

I dunno if it will do much for the zoas (since they close at night), I see my LPS catching most of the large particles. Get some pics so you can compare before/after.

MarineTeng
05/16/2007, 12:56 AM
i wonder about palys though, i was just noticing that mine aren't closing during the night while my zoas are mainly closed not too long after main lights went out, still light from other light sources in the room, i wonder how this affects clams too, cause they close up some but not all the way