PDA

View Full Version : need opinions (chips in glass?)

dtm
05/16/2007, 09:27 AM
I have a 180gal lee mar tank. The other day I noticed what looked like very small half circle chips on the inside of the glass. They are maybe 1/4". I've tried to get pics but they come out very blurry.

I'm hoping some knows what this is. they are all over the glass.
I'll try agian later when the lights come on to get get pics. TIA

dtm
05/16/2007, 09:35 AM
There are no "chunks" missing so maybe it would be more accurate to say they are cracks?

tkeracer619
05/16/2007, 10:25 AM
Sounds defective.

dtm
05/16/2007, 11:47 AM
the funny thing is that they werent there when I bought it

tkeracer619
05/16/2007, 11:54 AM
is it starphire? I have heard of the tinned side being on the wrong side causeing little chips to come out.

Though I have never seen it myself and have no idea what the chips are described as.

Was there any temp swings? Have you contacted the manufacturer? If you just baught this I hope they do something to fix the issue. I assume it has a warranty.

dtm
05/16/2007, 01:00 PM
Its not starphire.........I have seen threads dicussing this issue before, I just cant find them.

I have about a 1-2 degree temp swing. I did call Lee Mar but they dont want to talk to you. I have to deal with the store I bought it from. The tank is 6 months old max

jmp998
05/16/2007, 01:04 PM
I have no experience with this problem, but this thread may be helpful for comparison:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=721379

dtm
05/16/2007, 01:46 PM
thanks very much for the link. thats the same exact thing mine has, but mine is NOT starphire

dtm
05/16/2007, 05:15 PM
has anyone found the cause of this?

Waxxiemann
05/16/2007, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9955041#post9955041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmp998
I have no experience with this problem, but this thread may be helpful for comparison:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=721379

Cool you mentioned this thread, it's the first thing I thought of when I read this thread. Good on ya.

dtm
05/16/2007, 08:34 PM
nobody????

dtm
05/17/2007, 11:58 AM
anyone???????

Icefire
05/17/2007, 11:03 PM
look like glass imperfection that showed under stress/load.

dtm
06/13/2007, 04:28 PM
sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I just got word from the Lee Mar OWNER that I have 2 options. #1 leave it alone, which I think is BS. why would I want to keep a defective tank???? Its like buying a brand new defective car.... #2 take my heavily stocked tank down for who knows how long so that they can take a look at the tank. then after they figure out which panels are defective (all of them are) they will REPLACE them.

long story short my LFS and I have the same problem with the glass, so the owner of Lee Mar came to look at his.

I'm not really sure what to do, I'm just really ****ed off. I thought Lee Mar was supposed to be one of the best, and they came highly recommended from everyone here on RC.

I think the owner is NOT handling the problem very well. I would probably be happy if he said he would build me a new tank since he is going to be replacing every panel!!! He even wants to re-use the (non symetrical, poor crafstmanship) overflow box! talk about being a cheap ***.

what would you do? I'm leaning towards just keeping the tank because I really dont want to risk stressing my corals out. I have ALOT of money invested in my livestock and who knows how long its gonna be before they decide what they are going to do

Icefire
06/13/2007, 06:06 PM
that's how warrantee work, my Power supply fried on my pc, had to pay shipping to USA, took 4week to get a new one.

Had to buy a cheap one in the mean time. I think society is more about trashable thing.

a cheap ps is 50$ my Antec is 90$ with 3yrs warranty. shipping to usa was 20$. basicly I paid 160$ for a ps good for 3yrs.
I could have bought 3x cheap ps.

but my ps fried protected my motherboard in the power cut I had by frying. a cheap could have toasted my mtb.

Unless you could walk lee mar to get a new one up front for a fee, I would keep it

tinknocks
06/13/2007, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10136652#post10136652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dtm
sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I just got word from the Lee Mar OWNER that I have 2 options. #1 leave it alone, which I think is BS. why would I want to keep a defective tank???? Its like buying a brand new defective car.... #2 take my heavily stocked tank down for who knows how long so that they can take a look at the tank. then after they figure out which panels are defective (all of them are) they will REPLACE them.

Sounds like to me.... this is a perfect situation where the company knows they have you by the huevos!!! Basically they already have your money, and they're saying, " whatcha gonna do about it.... huh! " They WANT to put you in a bind so that you'll say, "ahhh.... forget it!"

And that's not a company that I.... or anyone else should do business with!!

Thanks for the HEADS UP on LeeMar..... I'll spread the word. The less business they get, the better off the consumer will be!!

dtm
06/13/2007, 09:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10138887#post10138887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tinknocks
Sounds like to me.... this is a perfect situation where the company knows they have you by the huevos!!! Basically they already have your money, and they're saying, " whatcha gonna do about it.... huh! " They WANT to put you in a bind so that you'll say, "ahhh.... forget it!"

And that's not a company that I.... or anyone else should do business with!!

Thanks for the HEADS UP on LeeMar..... I'll spread the word. The less business they get, the better off the consumer will be!!

exactly!!!!!

I think they should make me a brand new tank, and when that one is ready I'll take mine down. Quick and easy swap.

They already know the glass is defective. The owner said so himself. Since EVERY panel on my tank is defective why dont they just build a whole new tank? He even wants to re-use my overflow box............:mad2:

I think youre right tinknocks. he just wants me to say forget it.

dtm
06/14/2007, 10:08 AM
bump.................. for Lee Mar