PDA

View Full Version : few questions..

Jim_Leyland
05/16/2007, 11:14 AM
will the grow off of rocks onto the sand or should i place the rock with the zoos on other rocks? also will mushrooms grow onto the sand? thanks
~ Jim

papagimp
05/16/2007, 11:39 AM
they don't spread across the sand, but they will try to grab any large enough sand pieces that they can. If you had sugar fine sand then you probably won't notice any on trying to spread that way, if you have something more like my sandbed (indonesian black/white sand) which has larger chunks in it, the zoo's and shrooms can grab those but not enough to worry about em "spreading around" or anything.

Jim_Leyland
05/16/2007, 11:47 AM
so i should get some "rubble rock" and throw it by the zoos/mushrooms for easy frags to trade then?

papagimp
05/16/2007, 11:51 AM
That's what I do. It's always a good idea in my opinion to surround mushrooms and zoo's as well as other similarly fast growing and spreading species with rubble rock, reef disks, or anything else they can frag onto. Otherwise, once they spread to places you don't want them, it can get annoying trying to remove them later. And as little as they are, they can still harm other coral species that you may not want gone. For instance, I have a zoo colony that spread just a tad too close to a montipora digi., had to manually remove all the zoo's near it (dremel them off a rock) to keep em at bay otherwise the digi would have been pretty dead fairly quickly.

Jim_Leyland
05/16/2007, 11:53 AM
cool thanks for the info!