PDA

View Full Version : Black Onyx?

JokerGirl
05/16/2007, 11:45 AM
Hello!

I ordered these two guys from my LFS thinking they were the purely black and white clowns, but they look a lot more like the Black Onyx clowns. Whatcha think? Either way they're quite pretty and if they are Black Onyx then I got a hell of a deal on them. LFS said they should get more black as they age. It would also make sense as the male isn't completely filled in from his middle bar to tail yet. They are very young. The male being about 1/2", the female being ~1"

The male was a little tough to get a photo of because he's tiny but I've got a couple of the female.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/JokerGirlsPhotos/IMG_3821.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/JokerGirlsPhotos/IMG_3822.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/JokerGirlsPhotos/IMG_38241.jpg

h2joe
05/16/2007, 12:40 PM
those are some nice onyx clowns...i would deff buy them if i woulda came across them.

Mark

JokerGirl
05/16/2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Joe! So you think they're Onyx clowns as well? When I ordered them I was expecting the B/W Ocellaris, but the price seemed off at the time. So I came home and did some research and thought they might be Onyx clowns. I'm just happy that they are!! They just came in for me this morning after a week of waiting. I have no clue who my LFS's provider is, but when I asked about ordering them he said "yup, I can get them" without hesitation.

Now hopefully they'll host my BTA.. I know they're not supposed to, but the female already has been checking it out a couple times.

Yay!!!

h2joe
05/16/2007, 01:12 PM
yea IMO im positive there onyx. if my lfs around here would get them in i would buy a pair..ive only seen them every once in a while so keep them....or send them to me :) as for hosting...patience patience patience....lol my perc will host any nem now...just give them time and it will probably be the male that host first. at least thats how it has been for me in the past. one thing you might try is just feeding them by the nem, seems to work with clowns that are reluctant to host. good luck

Mark

illcssd
05/16/2007, 02:33 PM
Your correct, those are percula clowns, which you could say were of the onyx variety.

isseym328
05/16/2007, 04:01 PM
Yup onyx clowns. The lfs near me got a in a bunch too last weekend. They are really sweet clowns and getting then at the price of a regular percula is great. They will also get more black markings as they mature and depending on your tank parameters.

JokerGirl
05/16/2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks!

Slakker
05/16/2007, 04:46 PM
100% A. Percula Onyx variant. Congrats!

JokerGirl
05/16/2007, 04:57 PM
I'm so excited! I can't wait until they actually change colours.

Jovreefer
05/16/2007, 06:33 PM
Nice onxy! :) congrats.

Bones18
05/16/2007, 07:20 PM
jokergirl....I do not believe that your clowns will change colors. What are you refering to when you quoted that above...?

JokerGirl
05/16/2007, 07:21 PM
Not change colours, but as their black develops more.

ryan_reefer
05/16/2007, 07:29 PM
I'd swap my black occy's for them anyday, good find

phender
05/16/2007, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9957606#post9957606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JokerGirl
Not change colours, but as their black develops more.

Since your clowns are wild caught, they are probably fully mature at this point (even though the one is small). It is possible that they could gain or even lose some of their black based on your aquarium conditions, but it is likely that what you have now is how they will always be. In the case of your clowns, very attractive.

luntiz
05/17/2007, 12:05 AM
Is that really an onyx? PTF in Pasadena sell those all the time, with semi-complete black between all bars for like 20-25 bucks. I say semi because all the onyx pictures I've seen show full coverage across the entire body between the bars, not semi-complete like the one posted above. I don't know, I'm a newbie so don't be too harsh on me.

luntiz
05/17/2007, 12:11 AM
There just seems to be more black showing in these compared to yours, and mine.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/SaraBertolino/Onyx%20Clowns/RodOnyxSpawn2.jpg

criccio
05/17/2007, 05:46 AM
No, you are correct luntiz. To clownfish purists those aren't onyx. 'True' onyx would have a black dorsal fin and much more black between the bars, just like the pic you posted (are those Rod's?). To the everyday hobbyist, Jokergirl's are onyx. The definition has definitely loosened over the years, probably driven by money.

JokerGirl
05/17/2007, 07:18 AM
I think people are getting confused here. Now that I'm at work and can answer back.

There was a big confusion. I special ordered these fish from my LFS. They are not wild caught, but are aquacultured. There was a mis-communication between me and my fish guy. What I had actually wanted to order were the True Black Percs (A. oscellaris) and he thought I had wanted the Black True Percs ('Onyx' A. percula). I saw the actual shipment invoice yesterday and it does say that they are aquacultured.

These fish are still very young, and everything that I have read about the Onyx says that it can take them a little while to gain all of their black. The female isn't even an inch long yet with the male being about half of her size.

When I get home tonight, I will see if I can catch them near something that would be a good size comparison for all of you to see.

Rod Buehler
05/17/2007, 08:41 AM
Are they from Inland Aquatics?

JokerGirl
05/17/2007, 10:06 AM
I'm not exactly sure where they were ordered from. I know that one of their suppliers, and they weren't ordered from their usual place because they don't carry them. They also ordered a stingray from the same place my clowns came from.