PDA

View Full Version : Floor reinforcement question

amosgirl
05/16/2007, 01:56 PM
I have a 223gal RR tank sitting in my garage that I got for free last year (YAHOO). Anyway, I would like to set up this tank on my main level because it is physically impossible to get it into the basement. My concern is with the strength of the joists. According to my calculations the weight of the entire system (minus the sump which will be plumbed in the basment) is approximately equal to just the water weight of a queen size water bed. My point is that I know the floor will support the water bed so if my tank spans the same number of joists as the water bed and is up against a load bearing wall where the end of the joists will be supported by concrete, will I need to reinforce the joists in the basement or not? Here are my numbers:

Queen size water bed (water only): 2932 pounds
Tank, stand, 4" sandbed, LR, and water: 2934 pounds

What are some of your opinions on the matter?

I am only using the waterbed for an example because we used to have one (thank goodness it is gone!!)

Bebo77
05/16/2007, 02:27 PM
as most people will tell you tis best to get a professional to come out and look if you are not sure....

amosgirl
05/16/2007, 02:45 PM
I am in the constuction industry but am not an engineer. I think it would be ok based on what I know, but thought I would ask and see if anybody out there had any thoughts on the matter.

hatfielj
05/16/2007, 04:10 PM
You're probably right that your floor can hold the weight no problem. However, I would still go ahead and reinforce the floor joists using floor jacks in your basement. Its cheap to do and will make you feel alot better knowing that there's no risk to your floor or your tank. I did this with my 150gal system and I'm SO glad I did. The floor is rock solid now. All you would have to do is buy a 4X4 or even a 6X6 and get two or three floor jacks. Then just place the wood beam perpendicular to your floor joists and support it with the floor jacks spaced evenly across. This will essentially eliminate any deflection in the floor when the weight is added and prevent the floor from bouncing when people walk back and forth.

davidabrown66
05/16/2007, 05:13 PM
I would look at a few more factors, like the size of the foot print, lbs per sq ft, joist size, load bearing wall, how far away from that wall will it be, etc. A waterbed is longer and wider, and probably crosses a main beam towards the center of the floor as well.

For me, I have a 150 tall (4 x 2) and total weight off the top of my head was about 2200 lbs divided by 8 sq ft = 275 lb/ft which is more than a traditional 150 gal system, vs 6 x 2 = 183 lb/ft spanning roughly 5 joists = 440 lbs per joist, and then I only span 3 joists at the most being that it's only 48" long, so that's about 700+ lbs per joist, and my joists are only 2x8 not 2x10, so without consulting an engineer to find out how much weight a joist could safely handle, I doubled up my joist under the house, but that's what you really want to find out...how much load can your size of joist handle.

RocketEngineer
05/16/2007, 06:11 PM
The problem with comparing a tank to a water bed is the foot print. A tank concentrates the loads into a very small area. This in turn means that the number of structural supports is also reduced. Personally, I feel that any tank with a footprint load of 150 pounds per square foot should be placed across as many joists as possible. Tanks with loads of 200 pounds per square foot is asking for problems unless the floor is reinforced.

Just my personal opinion, do with it what you will.

But if you are really worried, hire a structural engineer for some professional input.

amosgirl
05/16/2007, 07:12 PM
Ok, here are some other specs. Tank footprint is 7.5 ft by 2.5 ft. Joists are on 16" centers and are 12" I-beam style joists. The tank would span over 5 joists and be up against a load bearing wall. The joists are sitting on the concrete foundation. Pounds per square foot load would be approximately 195pounds/sf. If that helps any. I will probably still have somebody come in and take a look but I was thinking of the floor jack idea before anyway and it may be a good way to go.

hatfielj
05/16/2007, 07:33 PM
It would cost way more to have an engineer come out than it would to just go get the floor jacks and be done with it. Floor jacks are designed to hold an incredible amount of weight and there's no way you'd ever need to worry about your floor again with them under your tank. You could even do more than one row of floor jacks if you were really worried, just like this guy did: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1026610

amosgirl
05/16/2007, 07:37 PM
Floor jacks seem to be the best idea. I suppose that means I am finally ready to actually start building the stand and get ready for full assembly!!!!! YAHOO!!

coralfish
05/16/2007, 07:39 PM
Floor jacks.....you will sleep better at night with them installed. You could also double up your joists where the tank sits as well, but is probably not needed as long as your exsisting joists are in good shape (no water or termite damage or cracks).

amosgirl
05/16/2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!! Maybe will start a thread once I have the stand built and starting to assemble everything.

hatfielj
05/17/2007, 04:45 AM
Yes, definitely start a thread. We love pictures!!!