PDA

View Full Version : Setup transfer

Bunkerbean
05/16/2007, 04:21 PM
Ok guys, I have some questions about a tank transfer. I have never done one before so need advice.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a 125 gallon semi reef. I say semi because he, well never mind. Anyway it had 125+ lbs of LR and some fish.

Anyway, so I stuck all the rock in tubs with tons of powerheads and a heater. I got my skimmer last week so I set it up in the tubs for now.

So I have finished the hood and stand (refinish job), got lighting and equiptment. Still waiting on plumbing, should be any day now. But once I have this thing plumbed I plan to run it fresh water a day or two and make sure of no leaks and i like the flow.

Now here is where I need the advice. The tank will have 120 to 180 lbs of new argonite. I plan on washing the rock off, if of course that is a good idea? Aquascaping it, and adding all the original tank water I have and then new water for the rest.

Is that going to work? Will I have a cycle at all? How long to wait before adding the fish back in? I appreciate the help and wisdom.

Sean

NanoGurl
05/16/2007, 05:17 PM
IMO, you don't need to save the old tank water. Most of your good stuff will come from the sand and LR. If your LR has old stuff clinging to it, then you can rinse it off in some of the old tank water. Don't use water with chlorine in it. You can take a new toothbrush and scrub the rock to remove lose stuff.

You will probably still have a small cycle. It really all depends on a lot of things, but I would guess a few days if you are using a lot of existing cured LR. As long as the new rock you got has fully cured you could probably put the fish in there same day.

Get a good test kit. Salifert is the best. Test the water in your LR bin. If it's good, it's been cured. If not, you don't want to add that LR to the new tank if you want to add the fish. Just use the old LR that's already cured.

Bunkerbean
05/16/2007, 07:54 PM
Nano,

Thanks for the help. I will be using all the existing LR.

I am assuming it is all cured. He had the system running for 5 years. All I did was empty as much water out of his tank into my bins. Then I took out the rock and put them in my bins. Transported to my house and immediately got flow and heat back to them.

I will test the water for sure, but I am almost positive they are cured.

NanoGurl
05/16/2007, 08:05 PM
You're welcome. Sorry, I thought you had other rock as well. You should be fine then. Do not use the water from the bins, if they LR has been sitting in it you may have build up.

Goodluck :)

Bunkerbean
05/16/2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks a lot you have been a terrific help.

NanoGurl
05/16/2007, 11:18 PM
Anytime :)

Bunkerbean
05/17/2007, 08:25 AM
So I checked the water par.. Yeah they are awful.

pmvalenti
05/17/2007, 10:13 AM
i would get an ro/di and use all new water, its better to start out right. i've seen members on here selling good units for like 75 bucks, i love mine, and your tank will respond well to ro water

Bunkerbean
05/17/2007, 10:30 AM
Already have my AWI Compact Reefkeeper cranking out water.