PDA

View Full Version : PURA phoslock

ReefDreamz
05/16/2007, 04:33 PM
I have a phosphate problem (0.9ppm). Went to the LFS today to get some phosphate remover media. They sold me PURA PhosLock. Its a ferric hydroxide media. The directions just say to use 3 TBS/20 gallons monthly. It also says to clean up a well established tank triple the standard usage. My tank is about a month and a half old. But then it says I can put many months worth of the stuff in my canister all at once because it will not ever leach phosphates back into the water. Has anyone had any experience with this brand? How much should I use?

bertoni
05/16/2007, 04:47 PM
What animals are in the tank? Some corals seem to have issues with sudden changes in the phosphate level. If there aren't any corals, then I'd guess you can add a lot more and still be safe.

ReefDreamz
05/16/2007, 04:50 PM
I have some Ivory tube coral (Cladocora), some star coral (Solenastrea) and some zoanthids that I just put in the tank about an hour ago. Also one firefish.

bertoni
05/16/2007, 04:51 PM
Personally, I would start out with the recommended dose of 3 tbsp per 20g, and watch carefully. Given that phosphate is that high, I'd also consider some 20% water changes.

ReefDreamz
05/16/2007, 04:59 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. I actually tested for phosphates right after a 10% water change and im using RO/DI so I dont know why my phosphates are so high but they are so its time to take care of it.

Henry Bowman
05/17/2007, 06:13 AM
Phosphates can be introduced into the aquarium through feeding and even on / within the live rock. If you keep using the phoslock you should never have a problem.

jda
05/17/2007, 03:01 PM
The risk with using a lot is that it can plug with with debris/organics and you will have to pitch media that hasn't even been used. Using smaller amounts and changing more often is more effective for most people.