PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Reefpak 200 compatibility problem with North Amerian tank rims

trilinearmipmap
05/16/2007, 05:44 PM
Hello Roger,

I tried to set up my new Reefpak 200 today.

The problem is the mounting system with the magnet. The inside half of the magnet holder is held on to the skimmer and filter boxes with four screws. Mounting the unit inside my aquarium, I am not able to have it mounted high enough for the water level on the reefpak to be correct, if I want the water level in my aquarium to be at the tank rim. The magnet holder bumps into the tank rim and I can not raise it any higher.

There is a small amount of adjustability in the mounting system (I undid the screws and I can raise the unit about 1 cm on the mounting unit) but not enough slack to raise it high enough.

I tried drilling new holes in the mounting hardware but that didn't work out.

I ended up super-glueing the skimmer and filter boxes onto the inside mounting magnet bracket. I will test how this works out once the glue is set better.

Anyway this whole problem could have been avoided if the mounts on the filter and skimmer boxes were placed a couple of cm lower.

I assume this unit was designed for European rimless tanks.

Overall I am very happy with the quality of the Tunze things I have bought (don't know about this Reefpak yet because the tank is not running yet), however there seems to be some common problems for Tunze equipment. One, the mounting hardware is confusing and often doesn't suit North American tanks. Two, the documentation and instructions are written by a German person with only a fair command of the English language. Perhaps a native English speaker should write the English instructions for these products.

Anyway I just want to give this feed back because I am sure others will run into this problem too.

rvitko
05/17/2007, 10:02 AM
When we are not in a time crunch I try to smooth out the translation but I am always mindful that the goal is a British English translation so it is universal for all English speakers, I don't always get the exact translation I would want.

I have not encountered this problem before, most smaller US tanks have trim that is failry narrow and doesn't cause this problem. Did you try using the lower set of threaded holes on the back of the filters and skimmer? What size tank is it and what brand?

smatter
05/17/2007, 12:29 PM
The outside magnet can rest on the tanks trim, it is plenty strong. I have my 9005 mounted that way so I could get it high enough. It would be better if the magnets were mounted a bit lower on the units.

rvitko
05/17/2007, 01:30 PM
Mr. Tunze is coming to visit later this month and I will make sure we discuss this issue.

trilinearmipmap
05/17/2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks Roger.

It is a 30 gallon Oceanic cube.

So far it is holding fine now that I have superglued it onto the magnet holder.

I did switch it to the lower set of holes on the filter and skimmer. Still not quite enough distance. Then I tried drilling a third set of holes even lower but since they were not threaded it did not work.

Anyway like I said the overall quality of the Tunze products I have used so far (osmolator and stream pump) has been very nice so I am willing to put up with a few headaches setting things up.

reefknight
05/17/2007, 11:01 PM
Roger,
I experience the same issue with my 29 gallon tank , standard AGA. I too usually place mine on the rim of the tank and the magnets are strong enough. Still it would be nice to be able to raise it to the full tank height. Just my two cents.

Bill

rvitko
05/18/2007, 08:53 AM
If the glue fails I could attach another set of the threaded holders to lower it. We will discuss this when I meet with Axel.