PDA

View Full Version : Refugium queries

Scrandrew
05/16/2007, 06:43 PM
This will be my first one. It will be about 40 gallon and serve a 210 galon reef. Accordinlgy, my questions are:

1. How deep should the sand bed be?
2. What grain size sand is best?
3. Should I pruchase "live sand", the bacteria inseminated bagged gravel, or simply good old dry aragonite?
4. Is there any brands with which you have had good luck?
5. Did you ever try miracle mud or similar products, and, if so, is it a good idea?

Thank you.

A~

Scrandrew
05/16/2007, 06:44 PM
To clarify, this is not my first tank, only my first fuge? All of the sand questions deal with the sand in the fuge, not the tank.

A~

pledosophy
05/17/2007, 01:54 AM
What are you trying to accomplish with the addition of the refugium?

It affects the rest of the advice. :D

Scrandrew
05/17/2007, 05:38 AM
I am trying to establish a place for pods to provide live plakntonic larvae, as continual supply as possible, for the SPS in my tank.

A~

thatguy
05/17/2007, 09:34 AM
1. How deep should the sand bed be?
It depends on the height of your baffles. I think the general rule on this is to make it 6-10 deep if you have the room. I can't swear to that but everyone I've ever seen (that the tank looks good) is somewhere in that range.

2. What grain size sand is best?
Not the large crushed coral, but not the super fine stuff either. I can't think of what it's called but know it when I see it.

3. Should I purchase "live sand", the bacteria inseminated bagged gravel, or simply good old dry aragonite?
No, save your money. Just get the dry stuff. Your tank will take care of turning it to live sand in a few weeks.

4. Is there any brands with which you have had good luck?
See the answer to #2

5. Did you ever try miracle mud or similar products, and, if so, is it a good idea?No personal experience, but those that I know that have used it had good things to say.

If you have space put a mated pair of mollies acclimated to SW in your fuge. They will lay a lot of eggs that will feed many of your tank inhabitants. The will also clean up the algae a little.

Scrandrew
05/17/2007, 02:22 PM
Thank you for all of the help. The height of the fuge is about 17 inches, so, maybe I will stick to the 6 to 8 inch range. As far as the mollies, will they eat my pods? Also, they are livebearers and not egg layers. Have you used these before in the fuge? WHat results?

A~

TwentyTwenty
05/17/2007, 04:48 PM
Hi there.You should go with a coarse sand,pods like it. Seaflor special grade reef sand is what I use and have plenty of pods. Have you thought of putting Chaeto in there as well ? Pods love hanging out in there as well. Plus, as an added bonus it is a nitrate and phosphate reducer. I have Mollies, great algae eaters. What are you going to be using them for in your refugium ? Lets not forget about some live rock rubble for the pods as well. Hope this helps, good luck.

Scrandrew
05/17/2007, 06:36 PM
I will add chaeto and red graccilaria (sp). If the mollies do not consume the pods, I would not mind a supply of baby mollies to feed the corals.

A~