PDA

View Full Version : overflow problem

alexchew
05/16/2007, 09:05 PM
hi guys, recently i added a 4ft dual beckett to my setup with an iwaki mx70 pump, the problem is the pump is sucking out the water quicker than the overflow can push down, so i am left with little to no water in my first compartment.

is there anyway to make the water from the overflow come down quicker?

thanks

Tennsquire
05/16/2007, 10:33 PM
The overflow isn't pushing the water down, gravity is pulling it down; and it's only draining as fast as you pump up to the tank from the sump. You can increase the pump size up to the capacity of the overflow to increase your flow into your sump. Other than that, I dunno.

JOSEPHLB
05/17/2007, 06:14 AM
You need to restrict the return pump by redirecting the flow back into the sump. Your overflow cannot handle your return pump. You cannot force an overflow to handle more than its specs are rated it.

Most people place a "T" and ball valve on their return line and send some of the return flow back through the sump. You'll be able to dial it in just right to where there is an equilibrium between your return pump and your overflow's capabilities.

Tennsquire
05/17/2007, 09:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9960104#post9960104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JOSEPHLB
You need to restrict the return pump by redirecting the flow back into the sump. Your overflow cannot handle your return pump. You cannot force an overflow to handle more than its specs are rated it.

I don't think this is your problem. I read your post to say that there's not enough water flow in your sump for your skimmer. If you can't increase the flow into your sump (bigger return pump, up to the limit of your overflow), then increase the level of the water in your sump. Your skimmer is basically a "closed loop" within your sump, and what goes into it comes back out. Increase the water level, but be sure to leave enough room in the sump to handle the back flow from the aquarium if the power goes out. You could also look into putting a valve on your skimmer pump's output to slow it down a bit.

Hop
05/17/2007, 09:11 AM
I hate to say that I'm a little confused by the post. this does not sound like a pump problem at all to me. It sounds like it is not plumbed correctly. That or the sump is not big enough the handle the volume of water in the 4' skimmer and upon start up, you cannot add water to the sump fast enough to fill the skimmer, then would have a flood when the pump is off.

So can you please post some more details? And a picture of the set up would be VERY helpful for this:)

alexchew
05/17/2007, 11:44 AM
ok the problem WAS that the skimmer pump was drawing water out of the sump so quickly that the overflow couldnt push water back down into the sump to refill the sump.

but the solution was so simply, all i did was fill half the beckett with water first then turned on the pump! So now its all good!

thanks for all the replies!

alex