PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang Carpet Anemone Stings

macman7010
05/17/2007, 07:29 AM
Hello,

Last night I added a Yellow Tang to my 120 gallon aquarium. The tang, after acclimation entered the tank with a quick dart and swam right into a carpet anemone. The tang is about 3.5-4 inches long and the anemone is maybe 10 or so. Anyhow the anemone grabbed him and began to close in around him.

I got a fish net and used the handle to rub around the Yellow Tang and free him from the anemone. At this point the fish seems pretty tattered up, you can see white anemone burns on one side and his fins appear beat up. Also his one eye got nailed by the anemone and is cloudy. He is swimming normally and moderately active, this morning when I fed (a new life spectrum pellets and mysis shrimp mix) he seemed interested in the food though I could not tell if he actually ate.

Think he will be alright? Hopefully being in the reef tank's water (parameters are spot on) will prevent any fungual or bacterial infection from the wounds. Anyone else had a similar expierence, did your fish fare ok?

King-Kong
05/17/2007, 08:30 AM
Years ago, my dad used to regularly save his tank inhabitants from a nasty carpet that he had. Some fish were saved several times over (including a Mandarin).

I'd say he has a good chance.

jmaneyapanda
05/17/2007, 08:36 AM
carpets and fish do not mix. They are fish eaters, and will likely continue to do so. This fish may make it, but Im guessing it may only be a matter of time.

55semireef
05/17/2007, 06:14 PM
Be more specific when you say "carpets." There are three different speices of carpet anemones and the nasty one you folks are referring to is S. Haddoni.

It really comes down to the personality of the fish. I have had fish that seem to think the tentacles of the Haddoni are tiny pillows to lay on while I have other fish such as my purple tang and flame angel that clearly know to stay away from this anemone. Fish that are from the pacific ocean usually have that 6th sense (instincts) to stay away from anemones in the first place.

King-Kong
05/17/2007, 07:29 PM
Ok guys -- whats the deal with all the Gorilla love in the user icons!

That is hilarious!

mavgi
05/17/2007, 07:39 PM
it's funny to see all those avatar in one thread look like gorillas forum :lol:

55semireef
05/17/2007, 09:15 PM
:D :D :D

All I know is that I am the real King Kong. :D

macman7010, I think your Yellow Tang will be fine. Just make sure it keeps eating.