PDA

View Full Version : Diets??

Chago09
05/17/2007, 07:44 AM
can a yellow tang suffer from too much meat in its diet??? can a picasso trigger suffer from too much veggie in its diet????

The reason why I ask is because my tank now houses a yellow tang and a picasso trigger. I feed the trigger frozen brine shrimp and frozen krill. I feed the tang HBH Spirulina pellets, ON Formula 2 and dried seaweed. Obviously both fish are eating each others foods. Is this ok or is this even better????

Aquarist007
05/17/2007, 08:42 AM
The key is the variety and the staple for each fish--and you have that--the tang needs the spirula in his diet and the trigger the meat as a staple. If they eat some of the other---great---this is what is like on the real reef--a smorgasboard in front of them.
Where you could have to worry would be when you are not providing the basic staple for each fish.
Here's a good example-----a local fish store had people fooled in to buy moorish idols they had on display because they had them feeding romaine lettuce--this is not a staple that they can survive on----most of the idols died in the owners tanks--starved to death even though they were eating the roumaine lettuce that did nothing noutitional for them

your doing great by feeding the variety

Chago09
05/17/2007, 09:15 AM
thank you very much and I appreciate the full explaination.

Aquarist007
05/17/2007, 10:14 AM
anytime--love participating on this site----the other thing you have to watch for with meaty foods is the ammonia/nitrate build up---but by your stats of your system you have that covered

Canajun too eh?

Chago09
05/21/2007, 03:02 PM
ya I noticed your from Hamilton although I didn't want to say anything thinking that maybe you were from a different Hamilton then the one I was thinking LOL