PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut my zoos off the rock with a razor blade

povsan
05/17/2007, 08:23 AM
My zoos are taking over my tank in most case some people would love that, I have a cluster of about 5x8 inches if not more.... pretty big boulder. Anyways it's starting to walk in different directions and I need to trim it down and/or put it in some other places of rock that needs to be covered. Can I cut it off with a razor blade? If so should I wear gloves because I heard that zoos are poisonous and whaen I cut it will the fluid/juice get all over the tank and cause anything? I'll have more questions later. Thank you

Aquarist007
05/17/2007, 08:49 AM
yes--wear gloves--the danger is when you have tiny cuts on your skin
I found with zoos that the best method is to take the rock out of the tank and use a chisel and hammer to split it up
Using a razor blade could cause alot more trauma then just splitting up the rock

MTB
05/17/2007, 09:27 AM
Use the razor blade to cut the size you want remove. Then try using the blade to get a corner of the mat lifted off the rock. Once you get a corner up it should be somewhat easy to pull the rest of the section off the rock. Use kalk paste to kill any remaining mat that did not come up.

Using the chisel method is recommended. still cut the mat where you want and work the chisel with a hammer just under the mat to get some rock with the mat. Then it can be seperated into frags and glued on to rubble and sold or traded.

WEAR GLOVES!

povsan
05/17/2007, 09:39 AM
thank you I think i'll be really safe and ewar gloves and as a matter of fact I'll wear some gogles too. hey, you never know I've heard a whole bunch of stuff on this forum. can't take a chance. thank yoy again

Aquarist007
05/17/2007, 10:06 AM
gloves aren't fool proff either--wash your hands good after--you can tell if you touched this coral--has a real marine smell to it.

mikeandjenn99
05/17/2007, 02:22 PM
And definitely wear gollgles or even better, a face shield. Those things can squirt their toxin in your face. Good luck!