PDA

View Full Version : using felt for a bubble sock?

nicolicious
05/17/2007, 03:01 PM
ive seen on randystacy a diy filter sock using felt purchased from a fabric store, has anyone tried this and does it work well? do you need to prewash the material? or should i just buy some 300micron material and make socks out of that?

medic29
05/17/2007, 03:03 PM
I bought some felt at a local discount store and made filter socks out of it and they all work extremely well!!! Very east, and extremely cheap.

nicolicious
05/17/2007, 04:36 PM
did you wash them first? thanks for the confidence post

RandyStacyE
05/17/2007, 05:13 PM
I didn't wash my socks before I used them ... it sure wouldn't hurt to wash it before you use them. I don’t know if it is necessary.

I recently went without socks for a couple days and I couldn't believe difference (for the worse). Salt spray was everywhere which was the most noticeable difference. My sump JUST holds my equipment ... that's it. In such a situation you'll find that you will not have any sediment in your sump if you use a sock. Without a sock you'll likely accumulate sediment rather quickly.

Some don't like to use socks for the fact that it's something that needs to be washed and replaced ... not to mention making them. Making them is not hard if you have access to a sewing machine and most anyone at least knows someone who owns one. The materials are dirt cheap and you can make them any way you want. I’ve found that sewing on a handle has been the most convenient way to mount/hang them. I never like fastening them around a pipe.

If you make quite a few of them then washing them and changing them is not much of a chore at all; I have 3 tanks that use them though. I've just been a big fan of using filter socks because I've tried all different types of filtration and the socks have beat all. I recently moved my 55 gal tank and I used the same felt with the DIY Canister Filter and it worked like a charm, it cleared up all particles from the water very quickly. I like the use the canister only on certain occasions like when I make a mess of the tank, move rocks around or something like that. Socks pick up a lot too, but a temporary hang on canister with the sock clears up any tank extremely fast. Once my tank cleared up I turkey basted the rocks, kicked up some leftover crud and the sock and canister picked it up too.

I hope others have had good experiences with the socks like I have. If anyone could suggest a better material to use I would be the first to try it. I have used a much thinner and much finer sheet material (I forget what it is called) but it clogged very fast in comparison.

speartheman
05/17/2007, 06:30 PM
My wife is a seamstress I have been to many frabric stores I have yet to see 100 micron felt the felt they have will catch some stuff but not like a 100 micron filter sock will their is a ebay store selling socks for around four dollars thats the way I went.

scooter21
05/17/2007, 07:37 PM
Randy,
I agree. Using the sock really helps keep the sump cleaner as well as the water. After reading your website, I made mine 7"x7"x7" and placed in an eggcrate frame that I had some rock rubble in. I placed my return and skimmer outlet in it. After about three days it is so clogged that the water barely penetrates it. I rinse them out and then soak them in bleach water for a day, rinse well and then soak in clean water with declorinator just to be sure there isn't any bleach left. Two yards of felt was about $10 and a short lesson in sewing from my wife. I prbably made about ten and still have fabric left over. Can't beat it for the price.

Scott

RandyStacyE
05/17/2007, 07:48 PM
speartheman, you may be 100% right on about the felt. I actually have NO idea what micron it the felt is, but it does do well. In my tanks my sock seems to only catch 'fine particles' for the most part, just how fine of particles it catches is a mystery to me :) I just know it's dirt cheap and does a wonderful job.

scooter21, I've heard where MANY use bleach to clean their socks and go through some elaborate routines to ensure that the bleach is thoroughly eliminated. I've only used bleach once on one of my socks and honestly I didn't think that it was worth while. Don't get me wrong ... it did make the sock absolutely clean and beautiful, but when I wash my socks I use absolutely nothing and they come quite clean ... just not beautiful bleached white. I also do not have to worry about any chemical contamination as a result. Once you use the sock for just a couple of hours it’s not all that gorgeous so I personally feel that it’s not worth while.

I just turn the sock inside out, rinse them in the sink, set the washer machine on a small load and use nothing when I wash them.

Duby
05/17/2007, 09:41 PM
I use this white pipe wrap in the plumbing section. It's for wrapping the black crinkly pipe for gutter drains. It keeps the dirt out of he pipe. It's like $3 a roll. I cut it into equal lengths and zip tie one end. The other end fits into the pipe thing I use. Heres some pics.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t45/chillenpyro/100_0141.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t45/chillenpyro/100_0139.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t45/chillenpyro/100_0142.jpg
You cant see the socks in the pics but they're in the small box. I'll take a better pics if you want.

Pbrown3701
05/18/2007, 08:48 AM
I use felt also - white felt is easier to see if it is clean. I soak the "sock" in bleach water in the sink for about half an hour and then throw it in the washer (with no soap). I then throw it straight back on the tank. Never had a problem.

Randy - i notice that if I don't bleach the sock, that washing it doesn't get out the caked in particles that you can see when you hold the filter up to the light. This causes it to clog more quickly the next time.

BTW - remember that BLEACH is not just chlorine. IT's sodium hypochlorite and only in a 3-6% concentration......be sure the bleach you use is unscented. I've never had a problem using the socks after the wash and I don't think air drying or extra rinsing is necessary - but do it if you like

energy_crisis
05/18/2007, 08:58 AM
Duby, cool euro/center braced rubbermaid tub!

douggiestyle
05/18/2007, 02:16 PM
not trying to be a kill-joy but if you are washing the filter socks in a washing machine, i suggest at least one empty wash before washing socks. a washing machine can have 1 or 2 gallons of grunge between the inner and outer tank. some of the newer machines can be much less. proof is if you ever used rit dye they suggest you run at least one empty load before reusing the machine. otherwise you can dye the next load of clothes.

seeing as no one is having a problem, the soap left over from earlier use does not effect the tank in a noticeable way. still i would be carefull.

medic29
05/18/2007, 02:39 PM
I've heard this before; do you think there would be much with a front loading washer? That is what I have and I didn't think there would be any because of it, but I don't know for sure.

douggiestyle
05/18/2007, 02:47 PM
the big thing with a front loader is how the soap is dispensed. look in the soap dispenser. if its like mine its gunked up with all kinds of stuff. the front loaders on the order of maybe 1 -2 qts. of left over water that will be much cleaner than a top loader.

fuzzyt
05/18/2007, 02:57 PM
From aquariums to washing machines. These forums never cease to amaze! :D Now, if we could only mix the two, hmmmm.

douggiestyle
05/18/2007, 02:58 PM
when wet drys where the rage, i looked into converting a dishwasher into a wet dry filter.

Moloch_0
05/18/2007, 03:32 PM
RandyStacyE, what type of thread do you sew your socks with?

medic29
05/18/2007, 04:31 PM
I bet no one would complain about the amount of water circulation with a front loading washer. LOL

The thread you use to sew these doesn't really matter that much, there isn't going to be that much pressure on the seems. I think I just used plain old cotton thread. If you wanted you could use a nylon thread, but I don't really see a point.

douggiestyle
05/18/2007, 04:38 PM
i would use polyester thread. i think cotton would rot. could use monofilament nylon. im sure thats what they use on the commercial socks. but as rick said, i dont think it really matters.

RandyStacyE
05/18/2007, 06:56 PM
I just used some white thread that my wife had. I never paid much attention to what type of thread I used. I've had a few older socks come undone before, but I don't know for sure if the thread rotted or not.

tigeroscar
05/18/2007, 09:40 PM
does it have to be felt or can it be a cotton fabric too? just interested.