PDA

View Full Version : what would you upgrade first?

nicolicious
05/17/2007, 03:03 PM
a RO/DI unit

or

new skimmer?

my skimmer now is seaclone 100 and it works kinda but it is undersized for my tank...

also is ro/di water ok to drink?

ADA33
05/17/2007, 03:06 PM
Since you have a skimmer I would go with RO/DI

RO is good to drink
DI doesnt taste so good but I dont think it will harm you

Zach117
05/17/2007, 03:15 PM
Si, RODI

nick18tjetta
05/17/2007, 03:18 PM
It really depends. Are you close to a LFS store that you can get RO/DI water at? Seaclone skimmers are ok for small tanks, but I wouldn't put one on anything larger than a 30, so if your tank is bigger than that, I would upgrade the skimmer first. If not I really like the filter direct ro off ebay, with the add on Vertical DI chambers. The DI chambers that come with the RO unit are pitiful, but the add ons do a pretty good job.

Are you running a sump are do you need a hang on skimmer.

Paulairduck
05/17/2007, 03:28 PM
They both are very important, but I would go with the RO/DI filter first then the skimmer

nicolicious
05/17/2007, 03:48 PM
i do live near a lfs but carrying those 5 gallon jugs are just starting to **** me off. its a 90 gallon, and yes i would need a hangon skimmer.....if i was to get one.

but doesnt a skimmer take out impurities in the water? would it be a catch 22 to add better water from an RO/DI unit? does one equal the other? if so which is more effective? really good skimmer or ro/di?

DarG
05/17/2007, 04:05 PM
It's not a one or the other thing. Skimmer will not make up for adding tap water to your tank. Doesnt take out the heavy metals and chemicals that an RO/DI takes out of your tap water. Well, maybe skimmer would take out some of them but it's not what they are for. You need to get the impurities out of the water before it is added to your tank. The skimmer takes out the organics tha accumulate in your tank from normal biological processes.