PDA

View Full Version : Ok ok ok ok...... Fine. I'll buy a calcium reactor already!

cham
05/17/2007, 07:04 PM
But I have no idea what the heck to look for in a unit. I would like a nice unit that works well. I would like to avoid the Deltec prices but still find a nice piece that works well.

I think I have heard once upon a time that you will want to get one with a bubble counter. Is this true? Anything else to look for?

I have an SPS dominant tank and after seeing a majority of the very sucessful keepers using them and some getting GREAT colors after switching over I am convinced I need one.

Another reason I was avoiding it is my tank runs a low PH of 7.9 to 8.2 daily swing and thats with using Kalk and pumping fresh outside air into inlet of skimmer.

All info and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks

krzyphsygy
05/17/2007, 07:28 PM
Geo reactor.....i am going with that one. i have nothing but greatthings about it!

Hop
05/17/2007, 07:30 PM
Yup. Grab a Geo and you will never look back!

cham
05/17/2007, 07:39 PM
What would I be looking at price wise to get one for my 110?

petedoc
05/17/2007, 07:58 PM
Are you already running a kalkreactor?

cham
05/17/2007, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9965436#post9965436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by petedoc
Are you already running a kalkreactor?

No, I use evap for cooling so I am using kalk in my ATO. About six or seven gallons per week.

petedoc
05/17/2007, 08:12 PM
Yes, if you can't supply enough calcium with your kalk make up water, then it is time to go to the Calcium reactor.

cham
05/17/2007, 08:23 PM
I was looking into them for the colors these guys are getting. Right now I can get enough CA at full saturation (2 tsp/gal) to supply CA.

But the Alk stability and possibly some beneficial trace elements the CA may provide seems to create some amazing colors that will take my SPS to the next level.

cham
05/18/2007, 05:33 AM
ttt

Ewan
05/18/2007, 08:24 AM
Choosing a calcium reactor is more dependant on your budget than anything else. They all do exactly the same thing. Some flow water top-down, some flow up through (I much prefer this), ease of media changes are a consideration, as well as proper sizing.

I now run a schuran, which is my third reactor. It's not the easiest to set up, but that wasn't a problem for me. It IS, however, rock stable. I check Alk once every few months, and it's always the same.

You've received a few recommendations for the GEO reactor. IME, this is one of the best-built reactors on the market, and the customer service appears to be very good. I've had the opportunity to see one in person, and They are impressive. The right amount attention has been given to the important details.

As for accessories, don't skimp on the regulator. (I'm on my second one... a flaky regulator is difficult to troubleshoot). I've got a JBJ that's been running like a champ for over 4 years now. Also, I'm a BIG advocate of peristaltic pumps. Before someone jumps down my throat, no they're not necessary, but if you're like me, and you've done your time holding a little cup under a stream of effluent staring at a stopwatch, they're worth every penny. A calcium reactor is a big, expensive WASTE unless you can provide steady effluent and CO2 rates. If you cannot provide these two things, you'll be adjusting your reactor on an almost daily basis, which negates having a reactor in the first place. When levels are drifting every single day, you might as well be adding 2-part.

You don't need to break the bank, but do it right the first time. Good luck with your decision.

-E.

dhnguyen
05/18/2007, 10:55 AM
Actually from speaking with many who have own and run both kalk and calc reactors, I am gathering that if you can get away with it to provide enough calcium, go with the kalk reactor instead. Easier to maintain and more stable than a calcium reactor. That said I have not used either... Yet.

cham
05/18/2007, 11:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9967960#post9967960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ewan
Choosing a calcium reactor is more dependant on your budget than anything else. They all do exactly the same thing. Some flow water top-down, some flow up through (I much prefer this), ease of media changes are a consideration, as well as proper sizing.

I now run a schuran, which is my third reactor. It's not the easiest to set up, but that wasn't a problem for me. It IS, however, rock stable. I check Alk once every few months, and it's always the same.

You've received a few recommendations for the GEO reactor. IME, this is one of the best-built reactors on the market, and the customer service appears to be very good. I've had the opportunity to see one in person, and They are impressive. The right amount attention has been given to the important details.

As for accessories, don't skimp on the regulator. (I'm on my second one... a flaky regulator is difficult to troubleshoot). I've got a JBJ that's been running like a champ for over 4 years now. Also, I'm a BIG advocate of peristaltic pumps. Before someone jumps down my throat, no they're not necessary, but if you're like me, and you've done your time holding a little cup under a stream of effluent staring at a stopwatch, they're worth every penny. A calcium reactor is a big, expensive WASTE unless you can provide steady effluent and CO2 rates. If you cannot provide these two things, you'll be adjusting your reactor on an almost daily basis, which negates having a reactor in the first place. When levels are drifting every single day, you might as well be adding 2-part.

You don't need to break the bank, but do it right the first time. Good luck with your decision.

-E.

This is exactly what I am looking for. Something to give me stable alk and I don't want to screw with it every few days. Spend some time, few weeks maybe to get it going then leave it alone.