PDA

View Full Version : Help stock my new 240G tank!

zachtos
05/18/2007, 11:46 AM
zachtos 240G reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1097194)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to be adding a cleanup crew soon, my hair algae is out of control currently too.

Snails only:
12-Astrea
6- Turbo
12-Nassarius
12-Cerith
1- Queen Conch
*Diamond goby fish to help clean sand?

Note: I have only a 2-3" silica sandbed in the display. I have maybe 250lbs of LR in the display as well. I have a remote deep sand bed which is basically a 50 gallon trash can 75% full of sand with low flow through it. I also have a 100G refugium w/ a 2" sandbed and 50lbs more liverock, 150G sump w/ 100lbs of LR and an equipment tank w/ 100G that has carbon running 24/7 and my skimmer (similar to a needlewheel deltec rated at 240G) and the calcium reactor is still on route. The cycle is at the diatom/hair algae stages now and the nitrates are peaking.

-goals: I will eventually moderate-heavily stock SPS coral, one or two maximas and as many fish as I can while keeping water changes to a MAXimum of 20% / month. For fish, I'm basically looking for a schooling type of fish 10-30 small fishes, a handful of small colorful fish, and a moderate number of interesting looking tangs. I'll have to add them slowly of course throughout the summer months.

I'm novice when it comes to fishes themselves, moderate with coral and expert with equipment design/planning. Planning to feed primarily frozen mysis, nori sheets, blanched romaine lettuce, spirulina flakes, omega formula 1 flakes, and hatched brine shrimp egg yolks in addition to tetra/nano home cultured phytoplanktons.

fishes wanted most are on top of each list... For now, I need a rough schedule/compatability/stocking number suggestion that fits my goals. I'll start adding fish soon.

-------------
Tangs (3-8 max)
-------------
SailfinTang
achilles tang
Blue/hippo tang
Yellow Tang
Powder Blue Tang
NASO tang
Powder Brown Tang
orange-shoulder-tang
convict tang

-------------
Butterflies (1 max)
-------------
Copper Band (for cleaning purposes only)

-------------
Schooling fish (10-30 fish max)
-------------
green chromis/dither
Disbar or other random Anthias
painted fairy wrasse
blue reef chromis

-------------
random Fish (4-5 max)
-------------
false percula clown Pair
Mandarins (much later)
Six Line Wrasse (for cleaning purposes only)
flame angel (maybe, worry about my SPS though)
Imperator Angel (unknown if this can even work)
Banngai Cardinal Pair (maybe if they work/not overcrowded)

zachtos
05/21/2007, 01:18 PM
^^^ I still need help deciding on fish, your advice is needed... I have read and read and read and want to be sure!

thor32766
05/21/2007, 04:18 PM
I wouldnt do the achilles for sure. Also I wouldnt do both a powder brown and powder blue. I would only do one or the other.

zachtos
05/22/2007, 06:53 AM
yeah, i was only goint to order one acanthurus (powderblue/brown, achilles. orange shoulder)

I wanted the achilles the most ironically. I read quite a bit about them and realize that they require a large tank, lots of flow, excellent paramaters/stability, good diet and can be the only acan. I'm pretty damn sure I exceed all of those requirements.

*Care to elaborate on why I shouldn't get an achilles (would be one of the last fish added this summer)?

The fish I'm probably going to get now are:
tangs:
-achilles
-sailfin desjardni
-hippo
-yellow
-purple
---
copper band butterfly, foxface rabbitfish, six line wrasse, neon goby x 2, green chromis x 6, anthias x 6, false percula clown x 2, mandarin x 1-4 (based on pods later)

prugs
05/22/2007, 08:42 AM
2 spot bristletooth tang
purple or black tang
achilles tang
Added in that order.

zachtos
05/22/2007, 08:55 AM
neat, thanks, I never looked into bristletooth tangs before. sounds like they are good hair algae eaters? maybe I should get that tang instead of a foxface rabbit fish?

King-Kong
05/22/2007, 10:18 AM
Dont get a sixline. They wont allow you to get other wrasses.

I'd sooner do a few pairs of fairies or flashers instead of 1 sixline.

Also, I'd suggest a Virgatus Doliatus rabbitfish instead of the foxface. A little more unique, good personality, and an algae eating GOD.

Anthias-wise, my favorite are the Bartlett's because, when healthy, they are VERY beautiful, and are very tough anthias willing to eat anything.

zachtos
05/23/2007, 09:05 AM
sweet, thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into those fish. I only wanted the sixline because they supposedly eat flatworms and redbugs.

King-Kong
05/23/2007, 12:54 PM
They eat on SOME flatworms, but not ones that effect SPS, and they dont eat red bugs.

dadonoflaw
05/23/2007, 06:09 PM
i also like the lyretail anthias but only from the indian ocean as they tend to be more colorful. i got a harem a while back and they are much brighter than anyone elses tank i have seen. also they have eaten like pigs and i feed two or three times a day. also if you plan to keep corals other than sps or the more noxious soft corals dont get a large angel. especially as they get bigger they chomp more than nip.

kimboslice
05/27/2007, 07:01 PM
get some anthias in there, dispars my favorite but so weak