PDA

View Full Version : Help, Help.

fishnugget
05/18/2007, 02:19 PM
I found @6 inches of red cyno in rear of 210 gallon tank. Brownish patches appearing on sand all over. All chemistry in line. However, many plates & lps starting to loose flesh. Some looking burned. Could cyno do this? How should I cure? My light are 8 months old, 400 Watt 10K MH. Could they need to be changed and doing this? I am so fed up.

Der_Iron_Chef
05/18/2007, 02:23 PM
I don't think cyano is the cause of your coral problems. I think it might be indications or symptoms of the same problem....whatever that is.

When you say your chemistry is in line, what does that mean? What have you tested for, what are your levels, etc? For cyano, people generally look at nutrients and flow.

Can you expand a little on the condition of the corals? Do you have any pictures? What does it mean that they look burned?

I would do a water change and maybe run some carbon if you're not already.

fishnugget
05/18/2007, 02:29 PM
carbon 24/7.

Nitrate 0
Dkh 9.6
Salinity .026

Phosphate .1- Run Rowa Phos constantly

Ph 8.2-8.4

Magnes 1280-1350

Calcium 450

Polyfilter always run. Large skimmer.

MTB
05/18/2007, 02:49 PM
What kinda/how much flow? Is flow flowing through the back of aqauscaping?
The Phosphate is my main suspect.

Der_Iron_Chef
05/18/2007, 02:59 PM
Do you mean the phosphate media leeching back into the water?

I would think that with many of your corals exhibiting these symptoms at the same time, it has to be an issue of water quality or something. Do you use aerosal products nearby? Anything that could have potentially contaminated the water?

I don't have much experience with MH bulbs (I run PC), but from what I've read, 8 months on a bulb isn't too long. I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

fishnugget
05/18/2007, 03:09 PM
in a phos ban reactor. No flow behind aqua. 2 Tunzes large.

Is what I described as cyno. Could this do this to corals?

MTB
05/18/2007, 03:11 PM
Leeching phosphate back into the water, yes. The cyano could also be giving a false reading as it uses phosphate.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the bulbs. I don't think it is necesary. Did you change to the 400w recently? Or are these new corals?Montipora capricornis don't need a lot of light. Neither do the
LPS.

Do you use a refractometer of hydrometer? Is the instrument accurate?

fishnugget
05/18/2007, 03:17 PM
bulbs 8 nonths ago. Refrectometer. Accurate

Der_Iron_Chef
05/18/2007, 03:22 PM
Why don't you do a water change and switch out your filter media for fresh stuff. See what happens.

fishnugget
05/18/2007, 03:32 PM
Thats my plan. Still concerned. Should I do cyno clean up with Chemi clean first?

Der_Iron_Chef
05/18/2007, 03:38 PM
I'd be way more concerned about what's affecting the corals (which I wouldn't imagine is the cyano). While you're doing the water change, siphon up as much of the cyano as you can.