PDA

View Full Version : Tuff little fish

RyanM
05/18/2007, 02:30 PM
I had my manderin vanish about a 2 months a go. I use to always see him swimming around on my rocks then one day I noticed he wasnt around. He's dead I thought. At the exact same time I had an unexplained pile of what I could only guess at the time was his remains after being chewed by crabs and my starfish. I sucked it up and thought that was the end of it.

Today Jerry aka Dr Bronx stopped by an was looking at my tank. He was asking about my overflow and when he left I went back in and was looking at it again. Dont have to say what I found swimming in there. :) My manderin. In my overflow for at least 2 months. Took about 15 minutes to fish him out of there and return him to the main tank. He seems to be ok and I can only guess that he has been living on the food that ends up in my over flow. from my feedings. Cant be a huge pod population in there im sure. He is alive so I guess he must be converted to flake and mysis. Thats about all I feed my tank. The strange part is that I use my overflow as a chemical dump. I add most if not all my chemicals in my overflow. Is the longest path to mix before returning. I find my self thinking about all the times I dumped my alk booster in there.

Cant believe it and would have lost a huge bet.
Manderins, are one tuff little fish. :)

Dave VG
05/18/2007, 03:28 PM
That's amazing. They seem so fragile and hard to keep. Glad it turned all right.
I would love to have one. Not enough pods tho. Got some frags from Nate and they had pods in them. Hope that jumpstarts them in my tank.

Dave

nwrogers
05/18/2007, 06:27 PM
Wow! That is really cool Ryan!! I was just admiring my mandarin fish a few minutes ago. The really are special fish, I am glad yours made it through!

Dave VG
05/18/2007, 06:45 PM
Nate's mandarin fish is fat lol

RyanM
05/18/2007, 07:53 PM
I still cant believe that by adding my alk buffer to my overflow didnt kill him. Im am simply stund. The ph in my over flow had to be of the charts. Such a rapid rise in ph should have killed him. My overflow cant be more than a gallon in size and all the times I dosed my tank thru it. WOW it must have been quite a shock to him. But he is still with us and I am happy.