PDA

View Full Version : My Tang has ick! Ick!

skeeter_ca
05/18/2007, 10:19 PM
Well, last nite i noticed some small white dusty looking spots on my newly aquired tang. I've had it for about 3 weeks. So i netted him up, which was surprisingly easy. Then i put him in a Q-tank in my sump. I thought it was a good idea since it will help keep the temp normal and i can easily do water changes. I will just have to make sure i don't accidently mix the medicated water with the tank water. I will be extra careful in that respect. And before anybody says it, No i didn't quarintine the new arrival. Yes, I knew better but my daughter was using my Q-tank for a freshwater tank that she just had to have.

Now down to my question. What is the best thing to treat him with? What is new out there for treating ick the best way.

nsreefer
05/18/2007, 10:23 PM
Hypo salinity is the best way. Slowly lower you salinity down to 1.09. Aerate the water with an extra airstone, feed well and keep the water nice and clean. Hope this helps.

Hop
05/18/2007, 11:16 PM
Watch you display closely for the next six weeks anyway. Even if you tang starts looking better, keep him in the q-tank until the 6 week mark is up...

manosdr
05/19/2007, 01:52 AM
Hypo salinity is good idea but it would also be better to put the food into liquid garlic before feeding the fish, and increase the temperature up to 28 ºC.

skeeter_ca
05/19/2007, 09:11 AM
How long should it take to lower the salinity?

jeffbrig
05/19/2007, 09:16 AM
You can do a 20% water change with RO/DI every 12 hours, should take 5 changes and then a little fine tuning.

I've long been a proponent of hyposalinity, and used it on all my fish. Recently had to switch to Cupramine because I had a strain of ich that didn't respond to hypo treatment. After seeing how quick and easy the copper treatment was (in a dedicated QT), I'm seriously considering using it again in the future.

alan214
05/19/2007, 10:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9973330#post9973330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by manosdr
Hypo salinity is good idea but it would also be better to put the food into liquid garlic before feeding the fish, and increase the temperature up to 28 ºC.

There's no scientific evidence that garlic does anything to cure Ich. All it really does is help fish with poor appetites to eat more. Unless your Tang is not eating properly, I'd forego the garlic.

skeeter_ca
05/19/2007, 01:39 PM
If using copper treatment how long should i treat him. I have some COPPER POWER and it just says how much, but not how long. I also have a copper test kit to keep it at the proper level.

jeffbrig
05/19/2007, 05:17 PM
I'd say minimum 2 weeks for copper. I've just passed 2 weeks on my current batch in QT, and I'm going to hold them in there one more week just to be safe.