PDA

View Full Version : 1" bulkhead too small for 1000gph pump?

foshizzle
05/18/2007, 11:02 PM
I just installed a Quietone 4000 rated for ~1000gph as a closed loop pump.

I used a 1" bulkhead and plumbing, but now I am wondering if this is big enough because the pump is making noise?

schneijt
05/19/2007, 09:00 AM
My Mag 9.5 has a 3/4" output, so I don't know why you couldn't put 1000gph through 1". But, I'm no expert in this subject! I'm sure others can be more helpful.

-Joe

nick18tjetta
05/19/2007, 12:44 PM
If you only have one line into the tank, I think it is too small, if you have two, then I think it is fine. But I don't have much experience with closed loops.

tkeracer619
05/19/2007, 01:38 PM
What is the inlet and outlet size for the pump?

As long as you don't make it smaller. It should be ok. Bigger is better though.

dots
05/19/2007, 09:40 PM
To further elaborate.....(I believe in the "teach a man to fish" philosophy)

Just like the faster you go in a car, the wind pushes back harder and harder.....the same is true here.

In reality, you can use ANY size you want, but one of three things will happen. 1) The dia is too big and the velocity is reduced (flow rate= Area of pipe*velocity of fluid). 2) matched just right the minor losses due to friction are minimized and is efficently the best size to use to get the best bang for you buck(hence these guidlines). 3) The pipe is too small which causes random flow within the pipe as you try to cram more and more flow rate through the pipe. This just turns into friction=heat and lost flow. Or have too much back pressure and burn out the pump.

What it means in the grand scheme of things, if your pipe dia is too small, you will waste money opting for the larger pump that won't do any good and in the end just heat up your water.

Icefire
05/20/2007, 12:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9974125#post9974125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schneijt
My Mag 9.5 has a 3/4" output, so I don't know why you couldn't put 1000gph through 1". But, I'm no expert in this subject! I'm sure others can be more helpful.

-Joe

Mag pump need twice inlet/oulet size as piping

briangriffin
05/20/2007, 12:33 PM
dots answered your question perfectly, since this pumps' inlet and outlet is a 1" MPT you have setup it up as his #2 example which is a match to the mfg's recommendations.