PDA

View Full Version : Hydor Koralia #2

kcmoreefman
05/19/2007, 01:28 PM
Yesterday I got a pair of the New (non-recalled) HydorKoralia #3's.Before I put them in my tank(58g) I had several dead spots and had to use 4 MJ's and those still were not getting to the dead spots. And my tank temp stayed around 81*-82*.
When I pluged the #3's in, the tank looked like a detritus storm. I could not believe the detrtus the HK's stirred up.Very wide spread flow. But I felt like the #3's were a little too much flow, because my corals looked like trees in an F-5 tornado. So I traded them out for the #2's and the corals look better and not getting whipped around.The other thing I noticed was the drop in temperture. After 24 hours my temps have dropped to 77.5* which is perfect. I give the New Hydor Koralias an 8 out of 10 fishies because of them NOT being able to be used with a wavemaker . However, Hydor did send me an e-mail stating that a Seio Multi Electronic Controller can be used. But thats another $160. And if everybody can be patient, Hydor is coming out with a differant line of HKPH and matching wavemaker this winter.

tkeracer619
05/19/2007, 01:33 PM
Its only a matter of time before hydor perfects the propeller pump.

I got 8 k4's for $40 each. Going to mod them for more flow and will probably upgrade to the new koralias once v2 comes out depending on the benifits.

:lol: and your right, i tried to test one of them in my 55g. the storm started right up and I thought twice about stirring it. Needs a good cleaning first. These things are great.

bph0013
05/20/2007, 07:01 PM
kc do you keep sps? I was thinking of buying a couple 3's for my 37 gallon that is sps dominated but I don't want to blow them away. thanks in advance.

kcmoreefman
05/20/2007, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9981000#post9981000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bph0013
kc do you keep sps? I was thinking of buying a couple 3's for my 37 gallon that is sps dominated but I don't want to blow them away. thanks in advance.

I only have 2 Acroporas. They loved the high flow the #3's put out. The only problem I had w/ the #3's is I couldnt find a suitable place to mount the HK's to where they were not blowing sand from the front of my tank. Keep in mind, I have a 58 gallon which is36"Lx18"Dx21"H.
So I gave up and went to the #2's. Less flow and doesnt blow the sand around. The 3's would be great for a bare bottom w/SPS. I liked the 3's over the 2's. But being that I dont keep mainly SPS, I went 2's. As far as blowing the SPS away, I believe SPS love High flow. Im sure somebody else will chime in on this. The #2's have 600 gph and #3's are 850gph. If Hydor would come out with an in between model, 700-750gph, I would go with it. Im actually thinking ablout getting a #3 again and running some test with a dimmer switch to lower the output to around 700gph.

Rekonn
05/21/2007, 08:39 AM
[i][/b]And if everybody can be patient, Hydor is coming out with a differant line of HKPH and matching wavemaker this winter. [/B]

If Hydor has to come out with a new line of pumps, are you saying that their current line won't work with the hydor controller coming out this winter?

bph0013
05/21/2007, 10:12 AM
I see, thanks for the feedback.

mg426
05/21/2007, 10:33 AM
I am going to be trying out a couple of 3s to go with my Closed loop. Sounds to me like I am going to like them.

DarG
05/21/2007, 11:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9975095#post9975095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kcmoreefman
Yesterday I got a pair of the New (non-recalled) HydorKoralia #3's.Before I put them in my tank(58g) I had several dead spots and had to use 4 MJ's and those still were not getting to the dead spots. And my tank temp stayed around 81*-82*.
When I pluged the #3's in, the tank looked like a detritus storm. I could not believe the detrtus the HK's stirred up.Very wide spread flow. But I felt like the #3's were a little too much flow, because my corals looked like trees in an F-5 tornado. So I traded them out for the #2's and the corals look better and not getting whipped around.The other thing I noticed was the drop in temperture. After 24 hours my temps have dropped to 77.5* which is perfect. I give the New Hydor Koralias an 8 out of 10 fishies because of them NOT being able to be used with a wavemaker . However, Hydor did send me an e-mail stating that a Seio Multi Electronic Controller can be used. But thats another $160. And if everybody can be patient, Hydor is coming out with a differant line of HKPH and matching wavemaker this winter.

The difference in heat transfer is like night and day, I agree.
Replacing Maxi Jets with Koralias in my tank shortened the chiller on time signifigantly and lengthened the chiller off time signifigantly as well. I use mine on the Seio controller. I would wait and see what Hydor comes up with. The Seio controller works but the 50% - 100% really is not enough to create the surge effect. They really need to be railed down to less, maybe much less, than 50% to create a good surge. I still think that it has a better effect than just leaving them running at 100% and is a much better option than starting them from a dead stop which is noisy and has got to be hell on the pumps. But the Seio controller is a stop-gap for me. I'm going to wait and see what Hydor comes up with I think.

kcmoreefman
05/21/2007, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9983573#post9983573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rekonn
If Hydor has to come out with a new line of pumps, are you saying that their current line won't work with the hydor controller coming out this winter?

Sorry. No the #1- #4 pumps will be the same. Maybe some improvements Im sure. But the New Controller will basically be like the Seio Controller,slow on and off. If I didnt delete the e-mail from Hydor, I will post it.

D.Blaine
05/21/2007, 08:21 PM
Just ordered a pair of #3's for my 75g that will be mostly SPS cant wait to get them now so I can order a nice frag pack:D