PDA

View Full Version : port forwarding web access AquaController III Pro?

mushroom hater
05/19/2007, 03:33 PM
I had remote web access with dyndns.com and my Linksys BEFASR81 router. Unfortunately after updating to the Linksys WRT54GL, none of my old router port forwarding settings are working so I need help in a step by step configuration.

I had used:
"Ext. Port 5432" - "TCP" - "Int. Port 80" - IP address of my AquaController (192.168.1.145)
then "port range forwarding" > "UPnP Forwarding" > "Ext Port 5432 (TCP) "Internal Port 80" and IP address 192.168.1.145

If somebody can help translate these settings to the WRT54GL then that would be fantastic! Thanks

lvreefer
05/19/2007, 05:43 PM
You mentioned "dyndns.com and my Linksys BEFASR81 router", did you have your router setup with dyndns updates? Maybe your current router has a differnet IP than what is registered with dnydns. It should be straight forward, I would double check all of your settings, not just the routers.

mushroom hater
05/19/2007, 10:30 PM
I do have the router setup for dyndns updates. I found a fix for the problem by trying all possible variables and it works fine now.
Thanks for the feedback.
Here's what works for the WRT54GL router:
"applications & gaming - Port Range Forward tab" > "application: aqua" > "Start: 80 to 5432 'TCP' > IP of your AquaController > Enable"
Then "Port Triggering "application 'aqua' > "start port 5432 to end port 5432" "Forwarded Range" Start Port 80 to 80 > enable
NOTE: I don't know if its actually necessary to use Port Triggering so you might try with and without it to see if it still works. Good luck and I hope this helps everyone wanting to go into the AquaController when traveling which I find extremely useful.

lvreefer
05/20/2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the update. I hope it helps out others using the same equipment. I don't know why Cisco makes the verbiage so confusing. A simple external port and internal port would be nice. Hence, I use the DD-WRT or HyperWRT evert chance I get.

mushroom hater
05/20/2007, 10:09 AM
I had the AquaController III (Pro) running through my old Linksys BEFSR81 and the setup verbage was extremely easy to work with but looking at the old settings and all new verbage in the new router (Linksys WRT54GL) nothing was similar (thanks Cisco for keeping it simple). Today I'll start experiment with removing the port triggering and see if it still works and then that will be less confusing and fewer steps. I run AquaNotes on my laptop via WIFI downstairs in my laundry room where I do my chemestry tests but the other computers in the house just link up via the network using the IP address of the AquaController which is great for my wife to extend MH lights from her office or me from mine. We travel to Hawaii, we'll have the same control as at home. I hope more people use this web feature Curt designed.

mushroom hater
05/20/2007, 11:54 AM
I forgot to mention that I have Comcast which blocks Port 80 to prevent web hosting and these settings seem to get around the block. Maybe Ivereefer has more infomation on that subject?

lvreefer
05/20/2007, 06:22 PM
Most if not all ISP's block port 80 these days. Its a sales and marketing pitch to get people to buy there "business solution" which cost more money. Any external port that your service provider doesn't block will work, 25 is another popular one they block. You can use this tool (http://www.canyouseeme.org/) to verify your open ports.

mushroom hater
05/20/2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Ivreefer, your tool is cool...checked my Comcast residential account to see if Port 80 was being blocked and it isn't
Maybe if they sensed tons of data moving on Port 80, they'd think I was running a web server and would block it and since I'm not, they arn't.